Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Laser Attachment for Turret Press

conrat

This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but you have all been extremely helpful in the past and it possibly could relate to Pro/NC Sheetmetal.

We have an older Weidemann turret punch press that holds 36 tools. However, due to the quantity of custom parts (nearly every piece of sheet metal we punch is a little or a lot different from the last) we have a lot of downtime doing tool changes. We also have a hard time tooling these parts quickly in Pro/E because they change so much.

I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible and if so how expensive it would be to add a laser to the turret. It is an older press, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to add something like this provided someone makes such an addon.

Once again, this topic only remotely hits on Pro/NC, but I appreciate your thoughts.
Jim

Edited by: conrat

Thanks. The manual for the machine states it can do Plasma, but according to the guys here, it leaves too much sl*g on the bottom of the part. I am just tired of jumping through hoops to get the tooling right for every job.

Thanks again,
Jim

I imagine that it would be incredibly difficult to do for a multitude of reasons

Have you considered trading in your Weidemann on something like a Trumpf which have had turret presses with integrated lasers for at least 5 or 6 years.

At the last company I worked for, we used a local manufacturer with one of these machines. Bloody awesome for doing smooth freeform profiles and you can also use the 0,4mm slots for cutting rip reliefs, knockouts and other really useful stuff that is IMPOSSIBLE to do on a standard turret press.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

This turret press is so damn old I don't know if anyone would want it. It is a tank though. Our company is pretty small, so buying a new machine is out of the question. Trading plus money may be a thought.

Thanks for all of your input. I guess I was dreaming.
Jim

One majorproblem trying to retrofit an existing Turret is mainly the servos for the table, a laser needs a continuious steady feed that is accurate, where a turret is designed to go from point "A" to point "B" fast, regardless of the path. Your best bet would be to pickup a combo machine designed for both.(I believe AMADA makes a few) or try and find a separate laser. Anyway, it is a good thing your parts change often...job security my friend
smiley17.gif

I have become extremely proficient in Pro/Program and relations. I never realized how much you can "morph" a design. And I don't need to know C++ or VB to do it. Pro/E can really try one's patience at times, but it is a Godsend when it comes to programmatically controlling a design from user inputs.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back