Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

large assembly "system low memory"

alwaysdrunk

hi i'm a newbie here. I have problem opening a large assembly in proe wildfire 3.except from slow in opening the file, proe prompts me that system is experiencing a low in memory and it stops opening the assembly..anybody help

i'm using a 2Gig processor 3Gig RAM.i don't know how to figure out memory allotment for proe and what proe means when it says system low in memory. thanks

Most probably you reach the memory limits a 32bit application can use (approx 1.8 GB). If this is the case, there is nothing you can do

I would suggest opening as a simplified rep and selecting the system supplied "geometry rep".

If you find you can not get all tasks done in this mode,you could search for "in demand mode" simplified rep thatallows a modellto be read in as a full modell and then release as soon as it is not needed anymore.

If you are on XP you can try the /3gb switch (I take no responsability if this goes down the drain), check microsoft.com for info.

The final solution is a 64bit operating system either windows orunix.

If you're using Windchill, you can increase your dm_cache_size, as Windchill will cache items you bring into your workspace to speed up the loading.

Otherwise, like Caddie said, 64-bit is your best bet. We're using 64-bit machines with 8 GB, and running into issues, but then again, we have huge assemlby models.

Have you tried using the on-demand simplified representation, and opening the assembly as graphics rep?

To monitor memory usage, open the Task manager and look at the Mem Usage column for the Image name xtop.exe. If xtop.exe gets up to 1.4GB, then you are in danger of Wildfire crashing. If you have set the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file, then it will go to about 1.9GB.

You may have to increase the amount of Virtual Memory.

Control - System - Advanced Tab - Performance - Advanced Tab - Virtual Memory (Change)

Hope this helps.

I was wondering if anyone can issue an opinion on 64-bit Pro/E or 64-bit processors and OS in general. We are having low memory issues as well, with Pro/E sometimes prematurely exiting. We set the /3GB switch and are running 3 GHz P4s with 3GB ram.

Also, which 64-bit processor/system do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back