Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Lack of Constraints for Pin Connections

dtsmith

Hello all,

I am relatively new to pro and even newer to mechanism design. I have been having trouble with pin connections. When inserting a component, the Pin connection constraint automatically allows for Axis alignment and translation constraints. However, it sometimes wont allow me to insert a Rotation axis reference.This is crucial because the component will not become "fully placed" untill I have this reference, andeven if it would, I need to specifythe orientaion.

Ican get the component to place with the use of a rigid connection, but that wont help me in mechanism mode.

Ihave attached the picture of the assembly that I am creating.The yellow pieces are connected by a shaft and rotate around. The spring assembly in blue and grey are what I amtrying to assemble to the main assembly. (note that thehelix, and blue parts are a sub assembly) I have placed them using rigid connectionjust to show what I am trying to accomplish. Eventually I hope to make the yellow pieces rotate with the sprng stretching and contracting along with them.

I hope all this makes sense. Any help would be MUCHLY appreciated!!!!

View attachment 2829

Just an update. I think I figured out my problem. I was trying to assemble my spriing so that it would pivot on an already assembled bolt. The catch is that I need to fix the bolt (ie not have the bolt as a pin connection) If I "fix" my bolt, then it allows for rotation axis contstraints, and the component can be "fully placed". I hope this makes sense and if anyone else has this problem then send me a message and I'll try and explain better.

I havent got the spring to stretch yet. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to play around with it. I recieved a reply this morning on my post titled "Spring animation" which may help those trying to figure out how to stretch a spring in animation. The link below should lead you there.

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32 375[/url]

If I figure it out, I'll defiantely post how I did it. And if anyone else has any more information please post on the "spring animation".

the easiest way to get the spring to stretch and contract is to create the spring in side of mechanism and remove ur current spring.prt.

Mechanism springs are symbolic and are super easy to animate.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back