Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Insert Custom Symbol into Notes

verge2

My company uses a technique to insert a custom symbol (triangle with number inserted) into the notes on a drawing. The text from the note properties is: {38:&sym(text_triangle)}.

When I try to use this technique, rather than a 9 inside of a triangle, I wind up with text that says (text_triangle).

What gives?

You need to follow a certain order of steps to get it to work right. We use the same here. The symbol must also reside in the drawing's memory. Best way to do that is to add it somewhere on the drawing before entering it into a note. Here are the steps I use to get it to work correctly:

1) Just use &sym(text_triangle) no need for the braces or number. Those get tacked on by Pro/e automatically.
2) When you hit OK a little dialog box should pop at the top/bottom of your screen where you can add the variable text for that symbol. See image below.
3) enter your variable text and click the green arrow.

View attachment 5661

4) Click OK of the note window and you are done.

If Step 2 doesn't allow you to enter the variable text then check the symbol to make sure it has variable text.

Thanks James, you were spot on! The forum comes through again! (I used to be "verge" on the forum, but lost touch for a while and lost my username!)

Hi all,

I've just started using Creo2 so pretty new at all this. I've tried adding a note to my drawing with a triangle symbol with a number inside it but not luck. All I get is "&sym(TEXT_TRIANGLE) placed on my drawing. Any idea what I need to do? Perhaps I'm not understanding "the symbol must also reside in the drawing's memory". Any help would be appreciated...

Hi all,

I've just started using Creo2 so pretty new at all this. I've tried adding a note to my drawing with a triangle symbol with a number inside it but not luck. All I get is "&sym(TEXT_TRIANGLE) placed on my drawing. Any idea what I need to do? Perhaps I'm not understanding "the symbol must also reside in the drawing's memory". Any help would be appreciated...

AFAIK, TEXT_TRIANGLE is a user created symbol, not a built in symbol (unless PTC added such a symbol for Creo, WF does not have it). So unless someone had created and saved a TEXT_TRIANGLE symbol on your system, you are only going to get text.

IF you have a user created symbol on you system, then you need to load the symbol into your drawing before you can embed it into a text string. To do this you just have to retrieve the symbol from disk, you don't actually need to place it in the drawing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back