Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Including parasolid info in Solidworks

blue7

Is there a way to include parasolid information in Solidworks files (.sldprt) so that my client, who is using Mastercam, can open and convert the file?

SolidWorks uses the Parasolid Kernal. SolidWorks can export files as a Parasolid as can Pro-E.

I do not know exactly what you are looking for. Are you looking to export a Parasolid file from Pro-E and import it directly into SolidWorks? If so, SW can import a parasolid file much the same way Pro-E can import a STEP file. However, it is a neutral and not feature-based file.

Hi - I am using solidworks 08 and exporting to Mastercam. They have had trouble converting the files to open them. It was suggested that solidworks has a way include parasolid info that would allow them to open and convert files. (Sorry I am not too knowledgable in this area.)

So this has nothing to do with Pro-E? It would have probably been better to post this on the SolidWorks forum to get a better response. If the native CAD file format cannot be read, I would most likely export the file as a Parasolids file, or whatever file format requested by the machinist (STEP, IGES, etc.).

I found this response from MCAD Central link titled Mastercam Interface
'What version of MasterCAM? We have MasterCAM X2 and can import
SolidWorks files natively. The import started with MasterCAM 9. See
links below. We had the same problem and had to have the mangers force
the machinist to use the CAD models and stop wasting time'

Click on the above link for more information.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

Pro/Engineer WF 2.0 & 3.0
SolidWorks Office Premium 2007

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back