Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Importing step files

tarunkp

i have a bunch of step files which need to be imported into a single .asm file in Pro-E. can i import all the .stp files in a single shot from a location into a single .asm file or would i need to do it file by file (which i really do not want to do).

If the step files are files of single parts, I think there is no way that you can automatically import them into an assembly.
Even worse: you have to convert the step files to part files first (open as step, save as prt), if that is finished, you can start to add the prt files into your assembly.
If you are handy with mapkeys, trail files or scripting, that could be of some help, but if the amount of files to convert is not too huge you probably have converted the files by hand already by the time your scripting file is finished and tested ..
I hope for you that someone else has a better solution ...

Kind regards
Eddy

what is the step files? can you explain it for me?isn't it a sort of part files or assemble files?i hope that someone esle can give a proper solution for us

@ EddyVE
thanks for your reply. i have around 100 step files as part of an assembly. i am assembling them piece by piece (which is very frustrating) and positioning them in the default location to form an assembly.

@ mroywsp
step file (.stp file) is a file which works with multiple cad systems, so it can be imported on to a cad system irrespective of its exporting cad system. that is, it offers flexibility on CAD systems.

i am trying to write a mapkey for the above as you have suggested. started with trying to work out with three simple parts first- a cube, cylinder and extruded triangle. then converted these parts into step files and placed them into a folder. next, started a mapkey starting with opening the step file , closing it, erasing the data (from file>>erase>>not displayed) and then closing the mapkey.
i opened the code of this mapkey and copied it three times (for three parts i have with me already) and renamed the later two parts as cylinder and triangle. i then tried to run the mapkey. Unfortunately, it does the mapkey function only with the last part (in this case, the extruded triangle) and not with all the parts.
Next, i tried to recreate the mapkey file with similar operation except that in this case i now did it for both cube and cylinder. Then i copied the cylinder part of code once more (for triangle creation). i now deleted the command line which makes each part code (from last two part codes) and left it for the cube part code (i.e. in starting for entire code). Unfortunately this also did not work. It now does the mapkey process upon using it but only for the cube.

Anybody has any suggestions? i would really appreciate it.

It also depends how the step file was created. I've imported step assembly files created by solidworks successfully. If they create the step file from their assembly, everything should be good. In other words, export the step file from your assembly, not individual parts. If they did one part at a time, then you'll need to build the assembly.

the step files are like a black box to me. i did not know what's in them (in terms of component or assembly) until i opened them up in pro-e. now that i have them as part files in pro-e, some of them are individual assembly files and some individual component files. i do not a have a direct link with the person supplying me with these step files. how to know what's what?

if the step file had been created from the assembly file, then my principle question would be defeated and no longer exist as i would have no problem then. My original question was how to assemble step files without having to do them manually one by one.

"i do not a have a direct link with the person supplying me with these step files. how to know what's what?"

Pro-E usually assumes the file type correctly. With the assembly step file I've opened it selected assembly file type by default, all I had to do is select OK.

"My original question was how to assemble step files without having to do them manually one by one."

You can't, all the references to an assembly were lost in the creation. You have to rebuild the assembly.

Pro-E
usually assumes the file type correctly. With the assembly step file
I've opened it selected assembly file type by default, all I had to do
is select OK.

yeah, that is exactly what i have done. I did not say what to choose, just let pro-e decide.

You can't, all the references to an assembly were lost in the creation. You have to rebuild the assembly.

can i automate this process of assembling by default (i.e. let pro-e decide what is best)? i tried to do it through mapkey but it is not working as i have posted.

I don't know how you can automate an assembly. If all the step files were created individually, that's just what they are, individual files, just like individual part files. If you need an assembly, you'll have to build it just like you would if you created all the individual components yourself.

At least that's my take on the situation. Sometimes I try to override the pro-e defaults on an import. Try to change the type from a part file to assembly file on the import.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back