Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Import Data Doctor

keevy

My Problem is not that Import Data Doctor does not work...
But that I do not know how to use it.

I have looked for training or examples and found very little.

I get a lot of Data from other sources, and find others (other company's)
Can repair the data rather quickly eg: VISI, VX, MasterCAM.

I know ProE is just as proficient, but am struggling to prove it as the standard of file to be converted to solid for splitting is rather high.

In the other packages they are mainly surface based so they do not have a problem creating core and cavity data from solids.

I DO NOT want to change to another package as I have also got EMX and have spent a lot of time customising it.

I am using WF2 with EMX 4.1...

I do Not Have ISDX as yet but we may get it if it will speed things up

PLEASE HELP!!!

This is a large topic, I can guide you through the "express way" in the automatic healing process:

Edit definition on the import feature -> geometry -> heal -> automatic -> all surfs -> done
What you see now is the constraints that will be applied (master surfaces, boundry conditions...). You can make changes if you want. Then go:
- Compute
What you see now is the surfaces that were moved to meet your constraints.Then go:
- Accept

Now you have some of the errors fixed, Next step is to use the manual healing methods and fix boundrys, zip gaps and more.

Some patches you will not be able to fix (?) so finish off with deleting the surface patches you could not fix and make new ones using ordinary surfacing tools.

To finally go solid, you can either merge all surfaces you created with the import and solidify/or/ edit the import feature again and "collapse" your new surfaces into the import feature.

Hi Caddie,

Thanks for the quick responce...

I currently use the Express way, but the Data I receive is sometimes Shocking.

I have tried the Manual way too, and that is where I struggle.
If I try to "Fix Tangency" for instance, I don'tcorrectly select my entities as nothing happens.

I am basically just messing with the accuracy (another topic on its own)
Deleting surfaces and recreating them in ordinary surfacing.

Do you by any chance have Detailed literature explaining the Manual Tools on Offer

Do I need to Hold SHift or CTRL or Right Click... I Don't Know

Hi,

Sorry, I do not have litterature. The one I have (had?)isthe official PTC stuff from a training course, so I can not copy/send. Don't even think I have it any more...

Use the context sensitive help? When you see the "Fix Tangency" option in the meny, go to "Help" --> "Whats this" --> Aim the pointer on the "Fix Tangency" option and you get the help dialog for it. Maybe this will help some.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back