Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Images for all parts in an assembly?

fiebigc

Does anyone know of a way to automatically have a screen shot generated for each individual part in an assembly?

In other words save a separate image for each part in an assembly.

My project manager wants to place a picture of each part in a Bill of Materials and I really don't want to do this manually.

Thanks.

There are three ways to take a image of your part in ProE,
  1. Take a snapshot by means of some other software like ZAPGRAB.ex, etc.,
  2. Press print screen in your keyboard and paste it in the paint shop and save as jpeg/Bmp.
  3. In Proe itself you can save a copy to Jpeg/Bmp file.
Insert the jpeg/Bmp into your drawings BOM one by one and reduce that to the cell size wherever you wanna put.

I hope this helps you...

Edited by: Asho Pulsar

Thanks for your reply. I know how to take an image of a part. What I was really getting at was how to get a separate image of all of the parts of an assembly without tediously opening each part and exporting an image.

set config.pro option: save_bitmap to "alllevels" and save the assy. you can also set option: save_bitmap_type to "jpeg" for lower file sizes. the jpegs will be saved in the current directory with part name. during the save you will be prompted to choose the pic size as a1, a2, a3 and so on......

Rudresh,

Not sure if it's something to do with my file associations or not.

I only seem to be able to output bmp. jpeg,tiff,etc are okay in the config.pro and have also changed them in session, looks good there

But when I try something other than bitmap they don't output. The dos windows flash by so fast I can't read what they are saying and it never gets to the pick size window...wf2

Bmp is really okay with me, they come out 200x200 pixels, 40kb is there a option to make them just a little larger?

found it...lol what else would it be called
smiley9.gif

bitmap_size

worksin conjunction with save_bitmap. Determines the size (squared) of the bitmap image that is stored.

Hey thanks guys, this sounds too good to be true. However I can't seem to get this to work.

I've set these three options in my config.pro file:

save_bitmap alllevels
save_bitmap_type jpeg
save_objects all

Then from an assembly I click File -> Save which then saves the assembly. However no images are created.

Does it sound like I'm doing this right?

The bmp got it working. I tried if for a couple of the other image formats and it only seems to work for a bmp.

Unfortunately it outputs the image with a black background and displays the part in random orientations.

Anyways thanks everyone for helping me out on this.

You can change your color scheme

view>display settings>system colors>scheme and select black on white

so that you don't have the black background

the random orientationis due to how the partwas saved last

so if you have a part and you don't like that view open it and orient it to the view you want and save. Now of course you have the bmp option going now, so it's going to make a bmp anyway. But even those file that don't have bmps yet. It looks to the view they were save at. It that makes sense
smiley2.gif
a mapkey may be the way to go if you have a ton of parts

The bmp are huge compared to jpegs, but there is a number of freebie programs that will batch convert bmp 2 jpegs, there are some you can spend money on that will work better no doubt
smiley1.gif
if file size starts becoming a issue

Edited by: wsylvester

also you now you can changeconfig options forthe current session only.

when you goto the tools options like you normally do to load up a different config

goto the drop down for "showing" and select current session it will make a file

called current_session.pro in your working directory but you can change config options without changing your master config.pro file

it will say session in the source column.. handy fi you like keeping your master config file in neat order with remarks and such

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back