Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

IGES viewer

hanseneffects

Hi. I know this question has been asked before, but the
response was to an answer that actually costs money! :)

We work with suppliers that are somewhat behind the
times. (Don't ask...)

I am looking for an IGES viewer software that is
completely free. Not shareware or trial software. If it
costs money then they won't want it.

Thanks for the response.

When I teach classes at manufactures.. whether it is a plastics class or a surfacing class or a basic class... often there is talk of IGES exports.My answer is always rather long winded. I explain that the real power of Pro/ENGINEER over the mid range modelers is that when all the suppliers use Pro/ENGINEER things work faster, smoother, less expensive. The fully integrated approach is best.

Send a change to the model while it is tooling and the vendor has to re-import the geometry and rewrite the tool path. (amateurish)

Choose a different vendor or suppler! They got to get with the program or find a manufacturer with solidworks or something.Or a progressive manufacture would purchase Pro/ENGINEER for their suppler and invite a representative or two from the suppler to all the onsight Pro/E training classes.
Edited by: design-engine

Send a change to the model while it is tooling and the vendor has to re-import the geometry and rewrite the tool path. (amateurish)

Not entirely true, there are Cam Packages that will will prompt the userif they want toupdate from a new/different rev. automagically. Youhave to re-export so it can see the difference, but it's out there... even with iges

Many things can be done on the model end to make life easier for the people making the part.. but thay aren't done

all the onsight Pro/E training classes.

Too bad the vast majority of employers are drawing from a community college based education system labor pool, because 95% of them use MasterCam along with SolidWorks.

PTC is so asleep at the wheel by not including the Pro/Man module with it's student/home version.. they could so be picking up a major chunk of the Cam market..... they could cripple the post... but still enable viewing tool paths

design-engine said:
Choose a different vendor or suppler! They got to get
with the program or find a manufacturer with solidworks
or something.

I totally agree with you, but I haven't been with this
company long so I don't know the history with their
suppliers. Probably some relation that own the supply
company or something... That's also why I am looking for
free IGES viewers. If it costs money then they won't
want to try it. It's a dutch community here! :)

btw - the link from the other poster is bad. Don't try
it...

Any free IGES viewers?

hanseneffects said:
Too bad the vast majority of employers are drawing from a community college based education system labor pool, because 95% of them use MasterCam along with SolidWorks.

It is too bad that PTC does not support the community colleges and engineering schools.... I agree.

hanseneffects said:
PTC is so asleep at the wheel by not including the Pro/Man module with it's student/home version.. they could so be picking up a major chunk of the Cam market..... they could cripple the post... but still enable viewing tool paths

I had to read that a few times to understand.. I see what your saying now.

By not supporting the colleges and community colleges PTC is breading a bunch of Solidworks and mastercam dorks.

Autodesk used to allow their software to be freely pirated knowing the college students were all over that.In hind site it turned out to be a good marketing strategy holding design and engineering back 10 years.

I think other companies ran into 'free' problems before. A cellphone cost 400 USD but when you buy a service paying 1000 for the year the marketing campaign gives the 400 phone free.People associate free with motorola. That case study is not one to follow.

Maybe the ptc marketing is not wanting to follow down that road?I think there should be programs in place to support the community classes even tho its a sad way to learn Pro/ENGINEER compared to a more aggressive approach design engine delivers (selfless plug)

It has been some years since I've checked but back when; a fully functional
trial copy of Rhino had a life limit defined in number of file save commands
(including exports) executed. Hard to find a better "viewer" is still so.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back