Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ID embedded in Pro/E files.

maxam

First of all sorry for my ugly english.

I write becauseI need a very important help.

I'm a chief-engineer of a little company. We suspect that one of my collegues stolen some Pro/E files and sold them to a competitor.

Probably I can get some of these stolen files but probably they have been modified in some way. For example some features have been added, or some dimensions have been changed, then they have been saved (probably more times). So I can not prove that these files have been stolen.

Now I was wondering if it is possible that Pro/E marks its files at the creation with some sort of ID code. If so I could put in relation the stolen files with one of our license and I can prove that they have been stolen.

There is some kind people that can explain me if and how it is possible to get this ID code reading into the file?

Thank you in advance
Edited by: maxam

If you open the file with an ascii text editor you will see a header section with user names and machine ID's. The format varies a bit with the release of Pro/E but it is in there. It's one way college professors catch students copying each others work.

Check the audit trail (info -> audit tral), it will show every user that saved the file and the machine name where is was saved.

dr_gallup said:
If you open the file with an ascii text editor you will see a header section with user names and machine ID's. The format varies a bit with the release of Pro/E but it is in there. It's one way college professors catch students copying each others work.

That's ok. thank you!

A further question is: Does Pro/E change this names and machine's ID each time the file have been saved?

For example, I create a part (.prt) on my computer, then I put it on another computer, then I open that part and I work on it modifing some shapes and/or dimensions, then I save it. Then I open it as an ascii text. What will I see? Will I see the IDs of the original computer (where the file borned) or will I see the IDs of the compuer where the file have been saved the last time?.

However I also can make a test by myself tomorrow.

maxam said:
That's ok. thank you!

A further question is: Does Pro/E change this names and machine's ID each time the file have been saved?

No, any person that has workedon it gets embedded into the file forever. If he copied the file to a new name the information will still be there.

Test it yourself. Backup a file onto your desktop and open it with Wordpad if you have it, look to see the names listed in the header, close it. Open that file in Pro/E, make some changes and save it. Reopen it in Wordpad and you will still see everyones names and computer ID's that have ever saved that file along with your own.
Edited by: jason_

maxam,

I'm sure that if you contact PTC will help you (and your lawyers) who did what, and when it was done.....

Kev

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back