Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

I was bliss in my forgetfulness....

I followed this discussion with great interest as
efficient as any other discussion on choosing a CAD
system.

Once I create something in Solid Works I think that my
model does not belongs to me completely and that some
decisions of construction SW take one without, to
ask.
That pisses me off to SW.
SW developers admit that they did a good job in 10 years
but which had models to inspire to make software for
those who are not really engineers.
That's all kind of globalization ...
But Sw is deficient where the world is most needed now:
management of large projects with many changes and a ton
of feed-backs to be reintegrated into the design.

I do not appreciate SW is weak.Dassault software systems
have
created a software more accessible to more people.
My opinion is the same class with Inventor's
So what ProE has clear rules that can not be violated?
They are created exactly where I can make a mistake of
carelessness or haste.
We prefer a software very hard but I'm sure that control
it
Edited by: cristelino

It also seems if you wanted to truely compare workflows you would need to compare it with Catia. For alot of the features and workflows I've seen compared it seems you can't always directly compare because they're not from the same solution range.

I like to get called out. Gets me more attention ;)

solidworks has come along ways and if you loved solidworks back in 1999 then it makes me wonder what you do at work. Cause I never took solidworks serious till 2007 and I try to push the tools very hard.

And for kdem... Well that would not be the case when comparing solidworks to proe except that annoying part where solidworks takes the features and clumps them up into one feature. And Catia does not have an insert mode.

Mindripper: As far as my badger-land comparison I never got out of sketcher mode in the hour. For sake of time I just pointed out what I don't like about solidworks sketcher. Then I tried to share a workflow educating the audience of why I like Pro/E sketcher and showed examples of how I use it in terms of workflow. Most people that hear how I don't like solidworks sketcher exclaim 'why would you ever use that' and I just wanted to educate the audience that 'why' first.We never even got to large assemblies although I mentioned it.

Maybe I should do that talk at Solidworks headquarters so they can make their tools better? They are so close.

[url]http://proetools.com/blog/proengineer-vs-solidworks-proving- form-with-both[/url] < the link from the blog post on our shootout.

And I teach a mean surfacing class in Solidworks BTW
http://proetools.com/category/courses/solidworks I just wish we could do the equivalent of copy paste special and create equations in sketcher mode. "But why would anyone want to do that?" That is why I showed in my badgerland conference my workflow for obtaining 60 features in 15 minutes but in solidworks I have to create each parent child relationship separately and that takes time. I have to show you.

Mindripper: There are many more solidoworks cheerleaders on the core77.com forum and those who came to the shootout were quite surprised to what they saw solidworks accomplish. I shared workflows for proving form that are new in 2008 and that's what industrial designers are suposa be good at. ... proving form. I think we showed workflows that no one was pervy to and all were impressed and even Chris Thompson form this forum who was with me running solidworks was taken back some. I could see it in his face. Where you at Chris?

Thanks for taking up for me Paul, the next time we do a comparative I dont think Ill run solidworks.
Edited by: design-engine

Please correct me if I'm wrong since I was thinking more of the top down design techniques and vendor solutions than modeling techniques and features. My exposure to Catia and Solidworks is limited but from what I've seen the approaches are different and they are from the same vendor. The Catia approach, the use of skeleton models,seems to be more similar to the ProE approach than Solidworks which use a layout sketch which is more similar to the approach of Inventor.

Managers and persons arguing which is better Pro/E vs solidworks should all remember a few points. Pro/ENGINEER has a mature top down modeling functionality and it is not fair to compare the Advanced Assembly Module of Pro/ENGINEER which is an extra 5k to the Solidworks functionality core functionality that you can not upgrade further. Remember when you purchase solidworks you are stuck with stock. In Pro/ENGINEER you can always upgrade functionality. It is only fair to compare stock Pro/E to Solidworks. That means we can not compare ISDX either to the what you see what you get solidworks.

We can however state that there are problems with how solidworks handles large assemblies. solidworks even defines large assemblies different than PTC. A large assembly to Pro/E is 300 to 1700 parts.

I have never seen Solidworks assembly with more than 200 parts.

We had 750 unique part numbers and about 6000 total parts in some Unigraphics assemblies in about 2002.

In Pro/E, I have seen 2000+ component assemblies in aerospace sub-assembly work.

This conversation is still going on!! (SMH) Well, the powers that be finally got SW and let me retire this cluster of a program! Figured yall would like that one! OMG the hole wizard is the boo-boo oh, and 3d sketch, awesome! If any of this pissed u off, u prauly need a life! it's a freakin design package, geez!

I was speaking to a snow board manufacturer who used to use proe and now use solidworks. The design manager said, 'I don't know who made the decision to lose Pro/E but it was before my time, can design engine teach us how to get those solidoworks references to work like Pro/E? References will not hold and the model falls apart"

HAHA....

I said, "shut up. you get paid by the hour!"

I heard the other day from a rep that use to sell Solidworks that they are revamping Solidworks totally, the major change will be moving away from the kernal they license from Siemans. He said it will be more like Catia lite, and he felt a lot of users will not like it.

Is that Parasolid?

I've never used Catia, but it sounds like there's now a lot of overlap between them and solidworks. I wonder if they compete with the same potential customers? Although guess not with large assemblies from what I've been reading here.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back