Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to simulate a cable in tension

teosoontong

hi,

How to simulate a cable in tension in a structure in Pro/MECHANICA? Can i use cabling? I first thought of applying a tensile force in the structure to simulate the effect of a cable but i don know what is the value of the force. Please advice

regards,

Soon Tong

In reality, cable are nonlinear elements due to the fact that only they can carry load in tension but not in compression. Kyle is rightthere are no rotations as well therefore the rope acts as a pin trust. However, in order to prestress the rope which I think is what Soon wants to do a feasible technique is to assign a negative delta thermal load to allow the cables (beams) to shrink creating a tensile stress (tension). To use this technique all other material in the assembly must have a zero Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (CTE). Depending how much force you want to add to the tension in the cables you may need to adjust the thermal load.

Good Luck!

Luis
Edited by: Luis Aguirre

Thanks for you all to reply. As Luis mentioned, effect i want in Pro/M is that the cable will only resist tension force but not compression. I am using spring element but it will have resistance to compression force, i am thinking about using the advance spring to create this effect, is it possible?

regards,

Soon Tong

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back