Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to copy layers with rules in it

sivasankar

Hi,
We have start parts which are having pre defined layers with rules in it. But in our library we have a bunch of old parts which are not having layer tree/ having different layer setup. We have to delete all of all of them and introduce the std one.
So I saved the std parts layer tree as xxx.pro file (settings-> setup files-> save) and retrieve the same in my old part. I got all the layers in my old part. But those layers don

create a mapkey that deletes the old layers and creates the new ones with the rules. It may take 15-30 minutes to set up, but will be worth it down the road. Whenever you come across the old parts just run the mapkey.

hello,

it's an old post but maybe it's still current/

I did that, but when i replay the mapkey the layers are created with bad rules (In fact i don't know where those rules come from !)

I have WF3.

You have run into an unfortunately common problem with Wildfire dialog boxes and mapkeys.

When a mapkey is run, Proe expects that the dialog box will be in exactly the same state it was in, just before the mapkey was created. That is hardly ever the case.

Take a look at the first post in Mastering Layer Q&A You will find a description of how to use the find dialog and a mapkey called /resetfind. These should let you create layers via mapkeys that work.

another problem with creating the mapkey is that the very first time you go into the rules editor you can only create 1 rule. Once you exit out and re-enter the rules editor you can create a second,third, and so on rules for that particular layer.

just likegkbeer said, you cannot just take the default picks in the mapkey, you must choose every single option even if it presently is the option you want at least for the first layers rules. Or you can create a dummy portion of your mapkey that gets the rules editor to a common state for you mapkey to start from.

csusie said:
another problem with creating the mapkey is that the very first time you go into the rules editor you can only create 1 rule. Once you exit out and re-enter the rules editor you can create a second,third, and so on rules for that particular layer.
snip..

The check for multiple rules is under [options]>build querey. As you said it doesn't help much the first time around.

I hadn't noticed that simply because I've never needed compounded rules in my layers. edit: Not in the default layers anyway.

AXIS, AXIS_TAG, CSYS, GTOL, NOTES, PLANES, POINTS, SET_DATUMS, AND THREADS are the base set of layers I create. They each are governed by a single rule. All are kept hidded by default.

As an example PLANES has all datum plane features on it including the set datums.
While SET_DATUMS has only those features named with a single letter. (By using the wildcard ? And limiting single letter feature names to set datum features.)

I can allow the set datum features to be on both the layer PLANES and SET_DATUMS because I use the ISOLATE layer status instead of UNHIDDEN.

I also take care about choosing between features and entities when adding items to layers. That's something the online help doesn't explain well. Simply put it's better to put features on layers, until a case comes up, where putting entities on layers is useful. The reason for this logic is because of how ISOLATE operates.

Edited by: gkbeer

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back