Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to convert shell with curved wall?

dcreel

Hi, I'm new here and I'd really appreciate some sheetmetal advice. I could offer software dev, firmware dev, or electrical engineering advice in return ;)

Take a look at this part. I know it could be unbent, if only I could convert it to sheetmetal. In fact, I have modeled an identical part in sheetmetal without using a solid + conversion. The problem is all the 'smt-cut reliefs', extensions, etc that I would have to do to make it look decent and have nice corners. These would be such a pain in the drawings as well.

Here's how it would be folded: the corners of the yellow and bright red faces would be bends. The corner of the white face and red face would be a bend. The corner of the yellow and green faces would be a bend. The corner of the yellow and blue faces would be a rip that gets welded later. The blue surface, dark red surface, and green surface is one continuous piece that gets bent and rolled. The bright red pieces would be welded to the blue, green, and dark red pieces.

What is the best approach to creating this part in sheetmetal in WF2? I need nice corner reliefs, corners where walls actually mate up,and I don't want the hassle of making a zillion features to do it.

2007-09-05_234200_testshell.zip

View attachment 4094

View attachment 4095

View attachment 4096

I have been using pro-e sheet metalback toversion 18 I'm on wildfire 2.0 now. I've had no luck converting a complicated solid to sheetmetal. I try it on every release with no luck. Simple parts convert fine. It almost always fails because of surface rips or un-even material thickness. The material thickness is easily fixed but it seams like some rip just can't be made. Good luck.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back