Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to cone the dimension in sheetmetal

smashrc

I am new to SW. I'm drawing a sheet metal case, this case has two parts upper body and lower body. Think it is like your TV remote control (i know it is plastic), it has 2 pieces of parts upper and lower body then able to combine together.

My question is, I done the drawing of the lower body. Now it is time to do the upper body. The lower area of the upper body's dimension is referring to the upper area of the lower body. I know I can click the lines to show the dimension on the lower body then remember all the dimensions to create the upper part accordingly. I believe this method is not up to date. I want to know what is the best method of coning the dimension for the lower body in order to create upper body? Thank you

My suggestion is do not combine the upper body and lower body together and finish them in one drawing.(make them split in 2 solid part).

after that,let say if you have 2 solid part now, you will see there are solidbodies(2) folder at the left hand upper corner side,click the "extrude1' and right click you will see the menu "insert to the new part",after that you will create a new part from this feature with the reference to your current drawing,Repeat this step with the remain extrude parts.

now if you change your current drawing,the 2 solid part which save to another file & namely individually will also automatically update base on what you change for,hope this help.
smiley2.gif

Hy ! There are a few method to accomplish your task:
- Drive - Driven dimenssions;
- Sketch rellations;
- Convert entities.
(maybe more)

Look in SW help. Google first for CONVERT ENTITIES. I think that is the best for you.

Good luck !

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back