Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to check for DIELOCK / UNDERCUT

coolntn1

How can one check for die lock ?

I have looked at the draft analysis option, but it only tells me if surfaces are drafted properly or drafted at all.

On a simple model like my example belowdielock is obvious and I have manually shaded that area in.

However, on a more complex model it may not be so obvious.

If anyone can give me a clue to check for dielock I would be much appreciative.

Thanks

Russ

View attachment 1518
Edited by: coolntn1

Use Pro/Mold or Pro/Cast in ToolDesignOption and create slider volume
in mfg asm. (Slider volume is a volume, that captures
undercuts/dielocks).

After inquiring I found that dielock/undercut analysis is not available in Part mode.

I contacted PTC tech support and they suggested that I use Pro/Mold.

By assembling the ref part and creating a workpiece, then performing a mold volume, create, slider, CALCULATE UNDERCUT BOUNDARIES, the dielocked areas are highlighted.

This accomplished exactly what I was looking for.

I submitted an SPR to add that functionality to Part mode...before parts ever get send out to the mold/cast maker...we'll see if they add it.
Edited by: coolntn1

I use Draft Check (Analysis, Surface Analysis, Draft Check) as a quick way to check for undercuts - use a small draft angle and so that the part splits into just two or three solid colours - any surface which is a different colour from those around it is worth a quick check.

Forexample, image 1 has an undercut (blue surfaces don't join), image 2 has no undercut.

View attachment 1555View attachment 1556

Baptie,

Thanks for your input. I had not thought about it in that way and will keep it in mind.

However your method utilitizes a more 'visual' method: Spin the part around to see if blue surfaces are joined. Easy enough for non complex geometry, but for complex geometry I'm not sure I'm going to catch small volume undercuts with my eyes.

I was looking for a more exacting method such as I described above in what I found was a suitable resolution.

Definitely thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the image!!!

Any advice on how to "select all surfaces" using Analysis-Geometry-Draft function? It used to be easy in 2001, but haven't figured it out in WF2.

Thanks,

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back