Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hoses as Flexible Components

E-Cognition

I've added a new Video Tutorial to my site. You may have already seen it in the PTCExpress.

http://e-cognition.net/Video/FlexHose.html

If you've ever needed to add flexible hoses to your assembly, I'm sure
you've wondered "Isn't there some sort of flexibility functionality in
Pro/Engineer somewhere?" Well the answer is definitely yes! Even
though it may not have originally been implemented for hoses . . .

I posted this same topic in Assembly Tips and Tricks. Not sure where it's more appropriate :)

Thanks Leo. Your tutorials are the best on the net. I always learn something new in your videos.

Edited by: jsantangelo

Wow, I can't wait to see this tutorial, I think it completely answers a question I asked through E-Cognition website :)

Thank you Leo!

Leo - very nicely done! But you mispelled the dimension name of the second angle: "and_end2" instead of "ang_end2".

smiley2.gif
Sorry, I had to find something wrong with that otherwise impeccable demo! Please don't hold it against me!

< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10">

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the
Merciful

Thanks Leo its very nice.

Danish A Siddiqui

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it.

A special thanks to zpaolo as it was his suggestion that lead to this tutorial!

BTW zpaolo, your picture posed on the Assembly forum is an excellent application of this technique.

Next months topic looks to be "Motion Skeletons" Stay tuned

Happy Modeling

E-Cognition said:
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it.

A special thanks to zpaolo as it was his suggestion that lead to this tutorial!

I'm the one who have to thank you, I really appreciate all your videos :) Also, another application of your technique for flexible hoses will be soon implemented in a LEGO starship model :D

The video was excellent. It was just what I was looking to make cables. I just wonder if the part /asssebly files could be downloaded with the video.

Leo

From the beginning i want thank you for great job you do with tutorials.

Here i am both,designer and also "manufacturing guy"

On of the most improvement in Willdfire ,in my opinion ,is Kinematic Machine Simulation

I have a big Mori Seiki Milling Machine,and alaways onto the table 5 origins in memory

,i don"t want lose my time evry new part manufacturing .One of mine origin is G58 when i use 4 axis

All machining table is assembled in mechanism module.But i can"t run the machine simulation.

The message is "ERROR: 'TOOL_POINT' coordinate system is missing in 'MACHINE_ASSEMBLY'. Cannot run machine simulation."

I create point in the both case manufacturing model and assembly machine

Where i"am wrong?

Thanks a lot

Cristel Catuna

[email protected]

Edited by: cristelino

cant help you cristelino sorry.

Must say thanks to Leo:- 1st rate mate!

btw were you using techsmith for the capture tool?

did you record sound during or after? (dub-it?)

If the hose was modelled in the assembly, would the result be the same as without using the flexibility U.I. ?
Edited by: jbuckl

Cristelino, I would try to "sneak up on it" by attempting the simulation after adding each axis and each coordsys one at a time. Good Luck!

Jbuckl,
- I do use Techsmith Camtasia Studio 5. Lately, I've been doing the capture at 1200x960 and then producing at 1024x768. I'm thinking of going to a widescreen (16:9) format in the future. What do you think?
- Though there are rare occasions where I'll do a dub, most all of the tuts are recorded live. The feel and flow of the tut just seems to work better.
- If the hoses were modeled in the assembly as parts, they would all have different part numbers. If thery were modeled as surfs, they wouldn't be parts and wouldn't have part numbers. The Flexability function is the only way to depict multiple configurations of the same part or sub-assembly, within the same assembly. (If that even makes sence)

Leo, great video. I do have a question though. I have used the flexibility on hoses for the last two years which has worked great on the model side. However, when it comes to the drawing side of things and especially in the BOM there were issues.We assigned a number to a hose and used it in several different locations within an assembly, but in the BOM is wherewe had a problem. If you have a hose number with say a length of 10", qty of (2) and then used it again in another area of your assembly with a length of 15", qty of (3) you mayget a qty of (5) for either the 10" or the 15" in your BOM,but not separate listings. You may want to test this out.

This is what I experienced many times last year and had to move to a family table for the hoses we used. Last year I also spoke with ptc about the issue. They tested it out and verified there was a problemand thought they would have this corrected in WF4. They came back later however and said no it would not be corrected in WF4. Just passing on whatI experienced with hoses using flexibility in assemblies and the resultson the BOM's of a drawing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back