Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hole Tool, thread depth

Palinvan

How do you go about ending the thread depth at a chosen surface when using the hole tool? All I see is an option to drill up to a surface but no option to have the threads terminate at a surface. I would like the hole I make with the hole tool to look like the one on the left sideof the picture that I did using cosmetic threads. I want this in order toimport the hole callout into the detail, I can't figure out how to do that when using cosmetic threads other than just adding a note and manually typing out the callout. I would have no problem just typing in a depth for the threads but then you get an unwanted line on the detail like shown on the right side of the drawing.

I've already tried using a custom .hol file with a depth ratio of 1.00 but that doesn't seem to do it.

The hole function has never handled hollow sections well where you want to create through-next holes & threads or countersunk radial holes on circular surfaces. You will have more control if you model it as two features

1 create the hole by the most suitable tool
2 create the thread with suitable start and finish surfaces.

Elsewhere in the forum is a thread on getting the correct callouts from a cosmetic thread features.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Did someone mention that you can create a surface copy inside the center hole and use that to trim the thread quilt?

Sip

With the geometry you have you could also model half of the part and then copy the features applying a rotation transformation.

I've run into this problem before.
The only work around I can come up with is this:

Redefine the thread depth by specifying up to a POINT instead of up to a surface.
You are going to have to poke around where the tap drill hole intersects the bore, but the point should be there.
Once you do that, you can callout the thread size correctly.
I think the glitch is due to Pro/E splitting a round hole into (2) segments.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back