Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hole callouts

Chrizziss

I would like Pro/E to use the proper callout style for hole types. For instance, proper counterbore hole calloutusing symbols. I am getting tired of erasing the given note and then typing in the code forthe holein the notes box. Where can I change this? Thanks

I use WF5 and get the required symbols e.g. a "V" for CSK and so on. However, if you wish to edit the note, you can edit them in the hole property. I believe, the notes come from a note file. Though I have not tried to edit it, you may try editing the file for future holes.

You need to edit the .hol file default callout format.
attached is the one i edited for UNC holes.
2011-03-10_091552_UNC.zip

There are 56 variations using the hole tool and you create a callout for each. I only filled in for the styles we use.

Parameters you can use in the note:

SCREW_SIZE

METRIC_SIZE

THREAD_SERIES

THREAD_CLASS

THREAD_DEPTH

NUMBER_SIZE

DIAMETER

DRILL_DEPTH

PATTERN_NO

CBORE_DIAMETER

CBORE_DEPTH

CSINK_DIAMETER

CSINK_ANGLE

DRILL_POINT_ANGLE

DRILL_DIAMETER

THREADS_PER_INCH

PITCH

THREAD_DIAMETER

METRIC

I never use shown dimensions in drawings: I use exclusively created dimensions. It's less work to simply create the dimensions and results in a more editable form, in spite of the hype that PTC (and other CAD vendors) impress on their hapless customers. Yes, the createddrawing dimensions do not automatically update in every case, but drawings are generally generated late in the design process, so such updates are usually unnecessary. Besides, using shown dimensions assumes the model reflects not only the design intent but also the manufacturing and inspectionintent for the part. This inevitably means the CAD operator will have to change the model to suit the drawing, which can be quite unproductive late in the design cycle. Besides, there areusually at least a few dimensions that need to be created, leaving the print with a mix of indistinguishable created and shown dimensions.

Have you ever tried to editsomeone else'sdrawingthat usesshown dimensions? It can bea nightmare: you may have to figure out the entire modeling strategy of the part (or even the assembly) before you can make a simple change to a particular dimension.

The only thing worse than trying to edit someone elses drawing with shown dimensions is trying to edit one without shown dimensions. Then the model dimensions have completely different effects than what one would expect from the drawing. If you have shown dimensions then the dimension scheme is laid out right before your eyes instead of being hidden inside hundreds of features.

But I agree that the hole tool sucks, I make my holes the old fashioned way as revolved cuts. Full control, no frustration.

I've suffered the hole tool and relatednotes too. In the .zip below is a Word document that I have put together over the past couple of years while trying to figure out the same issue you're having. The main problem is, if you create a custom callout/note format, it will overrideany other options you may include in thehole feature.For example, if you make the note outto show a countersink, tapped hole, but thehole feature itselfis acounterbored-clearance hole, theresulting note will still show the countersink and tap info as laid out in the callout format.

In the end,I agree with dr_gallup. I create/edit each hole's note as necessary. I haven't tried the "Insert from Note" or "Insert from File" options (Note Properties) once the hole is made, but that might alleviate the issue a little.

2011-03-11_130454_re_hole_callout_format.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back