Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

HELP - Refresh Problem - ProE Wildfire 3

ssherr

I am having a strange graphics problem with ProE, can anyone help me out?

I have brand new PC. Dual Core Dell with 4Gb RAM running Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit) with a RADEON X1300 graphics card.

The problem is that the refresh rate when selecting parts/features in ProE is so slow it make the program unusable. ProE runs perfectly, I can sketch, extrude etc. no problem it is simply SELECTING/HIGHLIGHTING anything on screen that will not work.

This suggests a graphics problem to me, rather than a processor/memory issue. Ironically this problem does not exist on my old (XP) PC which has 1Gb RAM and a RADEON X300!!!

Has anyone else experienced this problem.... and if so, how do I solve it?

many thanks
Steve

Dear Steave,
Probably u have to download the latest graphics driver. I had a same problem to my old pc, but I downloaded the latest driver and got resolved.
try this.

Windows Vistadoes not support OpenGL graphics acceleration and so you will probalby be using the Windows default - win32GDI which is absolutely terrible. As drgallup says: you are going to have to come off Vista. I've always been a big fan of Windows 2000. even though I'm on XP Pro I believe Win 2000 was a superior operating system.

Phil

ssherr:

I'm afraid you are going to have to exorcise that demon known as Windows Vista.

Good Luck on your mission. You have my sympathy.

dr_gallup said:
You are going to have to ditch the Windoze Vista to get any kind of decent graphics performance.

While this may be true for more intensive graphics (as a student I'm still dealing with fairly simple models), I've not had any problems with my machine (uses Vista) running Pro/E.

I DID have to update my video drivers though (i had the exact same refresh problem)
Edited by: jonbauer99

ATI grahpics cards are notoriously bad with Pro/ENGINEER. Windows Vista DOES not support OpenGL but I do know that you can load third OpenGL ICD drivers separately. Might be as well to get in touch with someone at ATI or have a look on their website. Windows Vista uses Direct3D and as I understand itWindows Vista IS capable of running OpenGL as an emulation layer. Might be as well to do a Google search and see if you can find out a bit more about it.

Phil

while PTC support people suggest that you do not upgrade to Vista .. I would say that you need to try a newer driver with a newer datecode release like the M110 for WF3. Also if that does not work change to the Nvidia Geforce ,,,, not as big and expensive as the openGL but will do the trick with the windows vista and Pro/E ,,,,
Else just remove the damn vista .... and wait till something pops up with a solution.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back