Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help - Layouts

leemcdermott

Hello all.

I wonder if anyone of you have an example of using a layout (and possibly skeleton!) to swap out certain components in an assembly. What I'm wanting to do is have a front sheet that allows a defined number of optional parts to be chosen - these choices will then regenerate the assembly and drawing to the chosen configuration. I can do this using the family table method, but it keeps loosing some references and I end having to repair the assembly, or fix the purple dimensions. Our CAD trainer told me that Layouts would probably solve this problem, but he never had time to show me the method and he's not around for a while now.

Regards,

Lee

I'll try to explain in short, what should you do.
Create layout in which you'll put input data, such as configurations, etc.
In layout create parameters which would control type of configuration.
Associate this layout to models.
Create main asm, create skeleton, skeleton is here what is important, in skeleton you must put, all references for all your parts, that would be assembled in main asm.
To this to work by configuration, you must first put all variants of configurations in main asm, then using program, and parameters from layout you (program) suppress components regarding of configuration. This is why you must have all reference in skeleton, this why all parts are referent to skeleton, and when program suppress other components, there is no lose of reference.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back