Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help! bom Table and excluding parts.

[-Skint-]

Hi Guys,

I admit it, I am very VERY lazy when it comes to drafting/drawing procedures. I usually get away with the modelling and leave other peopleto do the 2D stuff. So I am not very good when it comes to this side of the development.

But... things are going to change. So I have started creating the 2D stuff aswell. I have managed to figure out how to get the drawing details to the way I like them, I have managed to create some formats. I have created numerous drafting stuff now which I am happy with.... this one I am not :

BOM tables : I have created aBOM table which is pretty simple, ITEM, DESCRIPTION, MATERIAL and QTY. ThatsallI need. Everything seems to work quite well apart from, therows containing the parts also contain the assembly itself ? Is this right ? The main assy itself is showing up as a part.

How can I get rid of it ??
smiley18.gif

I dont some reading around and decided that I could select Table>Repeat Region> Filters> Exclude and remove the line with the assy on, however to do that I need to selectFilter "by Item " but I get an error message saying :

"" You may not perform this action due to symbol asm.mbr.ptc_material. ""

Why is pro-e so damn complicated ? I would also have to perform this " Exclude Filter " option everytime I create a new BOM, so does anybody know what I have done wrong ?

Sorry for the rambling post... its frustration kicking in !!

Skint, if themodel that is currently in set as your drawing model has the assembly itself then it would surely show that as part of its BOM.

With the deletion, yes, you got it right. click "by item" and choose the assembly to get rid of it.

Thanks Mia, the problem I am having now is that the option " by Item " in the filter section cannot be used. Maybe I have a funny bug or something. I await a response from PTC.

Skint, you can also use filter by rule just add &asm.mbr.name!=*assy*.

here assy is the assembly name which i want to get rid of. hope this helps.

The way you've described it is the way I was taught, too. Not sure where that error message is coming from. Could be related to some other setting for the region? It gets confusing pretty quick. I assume you tried quitting Pro and re-starting? Ridiculous but sometimes it works. And when excluding the top level assembly gets too annoying, you can always make a mapkey to cut down on the number of mouse clicks.

If you're an admitted drawing newbie, I'd say you're doing just fine if you've made formats, repeat-region tables and all that. Plenty of drawing-makers never get to that point. Good on ya!

Adam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back