Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

HELICAL SWEEP ON WINCH DRUM

Texas_Drafter

I AM ATTEMPTING TO CREAT A WINCH DRUM. WE ARE STARTING WITH A PIECE OF PIPE AND WILL MACHINE THE PIPE SO THE CABLE HAS A PLACE TO LIE ON THE DRUM WITHOUT GETTING TANGLES. I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY HELICAL SWEEP TO CREATE THE SCREW TYPE PATTERN I NEED ON THE SURFACE OF THE DRUM. I NEED TO CREAT THE HELICAL SWEEP AND THEN CUT IT FROM THE PIPE. ANY SUGGESTIONS. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT INFORMATION IT WANTS ON WHAT STEPS.

refer PTC help on Helical Sweep. That is the best help you can get....

You may also follow the steps below...

Insert > helical sweep > Cut

take the default attributes...

Sketch the sweep profile... Sweep profile in your case would be a Straight line parallel to the axis of the winch, Starting at the intersection of FACE and Cylinder (roughly put this is the direction of the sweep feature.) DO NOT FORGET TO sketch a CENTERLINE passing thru the AXIS of the WINCH.

Enter pitch

Now make a sketch representing the cut profile... It could even be a circle.

Choose the material side... and hit OK.

ok i can get it down to the last step but when i try to finish it it says it "could not intersect part with feature" im not sure what im missing here. ive tried using a circle and an open curve and both result in the same error. ill keep messing with it but any more help is greatly appreciated.

ok it worked when i drew a v shape instead of a circle or curve but i need it to be a curve shape. do you have any idea what the problem could be with the curve.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back