Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

getting a renamed model in drawing

vijayprasanna

hai

i made a drawing for a model named as injection_plug ,now i want to rename the model as injection_plug_665 ,if i renamed it the drawing is not getting open .pls help me for this

Thank u

Regards

p.vijay prasanna

INDIA
smiley19.gif

Find and load all referencing files (drawings, assemblies, dependant parts, etc.) before renaming then save everything (?). I guess document management software helps you do this with a minimum of heart ache (don't know, don't use any). I use DOS FindStr command in a bat file to find referencing files (marginally effective).

If your drawing has the same name as the model I ~think~ you can set a config option (rename_drawings_with_object) that will help.

Also believe there are option(s?) to retrieve parent objects when a part with dependancies is opened? I'd go to Tools / Options and use the Find function (look for "retrieve"?).

Add the following commandto your "config.pro" file:

rename_drawings_with_object both

With this command active, if you do a "save as" from the part file, it will also copy the drawing, associating it to the new part. Just make sure that the "part" file and "drawing" file have the same name. In your case, in Windows explorer, (or equilivent), rename the drawing file to "injection_plug.drw", then open up the part file, "injection_plug.prt". Now do a "save as" and name the new part "injection_plug_665". You will now have a new drawing file that is using the "injection_plug_665" model.

appinmi:

One addition to that:

You need to have either both the part and the drawing open before saving to a different file name, orboth the part and the drawing need to be in your working directory. That has caused me some frustration in the past.

Sip

Set your working directory to where the model & drawing files are. Open themodel, and do a "save as". In the "SAVE AS"window, change the location to whatever directory you want. Both files will be copied there. It is usually a good practice to keep the model & drawing files in the same directory.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back