Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Get a pattern to follow a Datum curve in the form of a spiral? Possible?

AliCAD

Hi guys,

My first post here, but now I have registered I intend to be on here increasing more.

I am using Wildfire 2.0.

Basically I have created a spiral, using a datum curve and a cylindrical equation. From that I have added a protrusion to create a long spiraled cylinder.

What I want to achieve however is to make a pattern which will follow the datum curve from end to end. (see picture)...

As you can see I have already achieved this to some degree, using Datum points, but this is taking absolutely ages!! there will be approx 400 by the time I am done here!

Does anyone know if there is a way of referencing the datum curve so that I can create some kind of patterned chain from end to end (outside to center)? This would be so much more time effective and I am sure reduce the size of the file.

Thanks

Ali.

screenshot.jpg

EDIT: I am aware that you can create spiral patterns using Fill > Spiral. But that will only work with an initial sketch like a circle which doesn't matter what way it is facing. If the same is done with the 'V shape sketch' you see in the picture above, it just keeps it in the same orientation and does not alter it to face inwards like I want it too.

EDIT2: What about working from a Spinal bend or even toroidial bend? Could I create the 'v shaped' pattern on the surface of the sheet and effectively roll it all up? Which is actually how what I am drawing is made (automotive catalyst substrate)

EDIT3!! I have stumbled across this.. http://communities.ptc.com/thread/36801
Seems to do the trick in theory, however when I get to 'step 4' (towards bottom of thread) and it complains that 'geometry intersects' or something.....

I will press on!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back