Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Freeze All

herb

It would be GLORIOUS if in the "Resolve Feature / Quick Fix" selection menu, there was a "Freeze All" option.

It would be nice to be able to freeze all. However you can create a mapkey as a workaround.
The following sequence of mapkeys will freeze 16 components. By repeating you can freeze as many components as you wish.

!freeze component
mapkey qf @MAPKEY_NAMEfreeze component;@MAPKEY_LABELfreeze;#quick fix;\
mapkey(continued) #freeze;#yes;%q1;%q1;%q1;%q1;
mapkey q1 @MAPKEY_NAMEfreeze component;@MAPKEY_LABELfreeze;#quick fix;\
mapkey(continued) #freeze;#yes;%q2;
mapkey q2 @MAPKEY_NAMEfreeze component;@MAPKEY_LABELfreeze;#quick fix;\
mapkey(continued) #freeze;#yes;%q3;
mapkey q3 @MAPKEY_NAMEfreeze component;@MAPKEY_LABELfreeze;#quick fix;\
mapkey(continued) #freeze;#yes;%q4;
mapkey q4 @MAPKEY_NAMEfreeze component;@MAPKEY_LABELfreeze;#quick fix;\
mapkey(continued) #freeze;#yes;

Let me write that down here,..... yep, its official. There are more workarounds now then there are actual features. I notice Wildfire 4 is coming out and I was thinking about what the next name PTC will adopt to replace it. Any guesses?

Set config.pro option:

freeze_failed_assy_comp = yes
No - Requires an action to fix the assembly or freeze the component that fails retrieval.
Yes - Freezes any component failing retrieval at its last known assembly location. Missing refs using offsets or internal datums do not cause components to freeze.

scblur

I set my config.pro to freeze_failed_assy_comp=yes

This worked fine except from what i remember when you open an assembly file it will automatically freeze the component but it doesn't tell you that if froze the component. You have to look for them.

I ended up changing my conif back to =NO

I came to the same conclusion with that config setting, howeverit can be useful in some situations and it's a lot easier than that mapkey posted above. And itdid what he was asking for so I figured that he would decide for himself.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I tried the config option and like vandewinckel
I didn't really like the results. What would be my perfect choice would be if in the "Resolve Feature / Quick Fix" selection menu, there was a "Freeze All" option and a "Freeze Individual" option. Are you listening Pro/E programmers?

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone.

Guy it does tell you what parts are frozen. The problem is that you don't have your interface set to display the info.

Here is what you do.

Just add a column in the model tree called status. Then save the model tree config file to your startup directory.
Now make sure your config pro looks in the startup directory for your tree config.

GL HF

Edited by: Heathbn

Heathbn

I added a column for status butit still doesn't tell you what part are frozenyou had to look for them. I would rather have a dialog box that listed all the parts it froze just like the suppress or thedelete dialog box listing options/actions for each part. The status column does work just not as good as a dialog box would.

Thank

Steve

Steve

Sorry but I'm a little lost with you're reply.

The status column does put the word frozen next to every part that is frozen. when I suppressed a component it gives me the option to either suppress/suspend or freeze linked components in the options/actions menu.

It would be nice if the icon froze or something like that so we would not have to have a status column.

GL
Heath

I'm with Design Engine on using theconfig setting.I see absolutely no good reason not to use the config setting to freeze failed components and believe the mapkey idea to be one of the more foolish things I've seen, especially considering the config setting. Why sit there and hit a mapkey 40-100 times when the assembly can simply open without any user input, then be able to deal with placement issues once the assembly is open and everything is visible.

The only issue I've run across with using the config setting mentioned above is that you may occasionallywant to turn it off and open the assembly to discover frozen components you haven't noticed further down in the structure, if it's a large assembly with a deep structure.

There aresome other benefits to using this setting that many seem to be unaware of.

Just a note: I think clip suppressed will suppress all components after the failed one. I am not completely sure on this but this is how it seems to work in parts.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back