Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Fluid Flow Analyses

verge

Is there a simple, relatively inexpensive option for running simple fluid flow analyses on Pro-E models? I'm looking for a way to analyze the fluid flow characteristics of a pressure/vacuum vent valve. It needs to meet certain cracking pressure requirements, leak rates, etc.

I would like to be confident that my designs are moving in the right direction before spending money on prototypes and physical testing.

Is there a simple software solution, one that myself or my colleagues could learn with minimal hassle? I have experience with FEA, and with coordinating and analyzing CFD analyses, but have no direct experience with CFD-type software.

I recently evaluated several CFD software tools for my company, and I decided on CFdeisgn. I have different analysisneeds than your vent valve application, but I would at least put it on your short list to consider.

My vote goes to CF Design too but if you want another one to your list of desktop engineering tools I would add EFD Lab as well.

If you are using Pro/E better make that EFD.Pro instead of EFD.Lab. Same software only fully integrated in Pro/E. Made by Flomerics (formerly NIKA, now taken over by Mentor Graphics). You can even export temperature and (starting with version 9.1) pressure results to Pro/MECHANICA for stress analysis over there. All is done on the same Pro/E model so any changes in geometry will reflect on the final result without having to redefine boundary conditions etc.

CFDesign has multiple levels of licenses (read: price points) but all are fully integrated with ProE. After being trained in ANSYS and Fluent (before their merger), I cantell youCFDesign is about the easiestCFD tool to learn (no exp. w/ EFD).

PM me if you want more information, or any assistance with your analysis, I just accomplished an internal flow analysis last week...

Will it predict for me the crack rateof a pressure/vacuum vent valve based on geometry,material properties, spring force, pressure differential, etc?

Yes, there is flow driven motion, if that is what you are asking. A transient analysis can be conducted to find out the position/time of a spring loaded ball valve for example. You could use a time dependant pressure curve as your boundary condition, and from that you can step through the analysis to determine the cracking pressure and leak rate at a given pressure/time.

Does this answer your question?

Browse the web as well, www.cfdesign.com.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back