Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

flat cam bearing follower

Gailwrath

(Assembly question) For the life of me I can not figure out how to get a bearing to follow a flat cam profile (i.e. flat for 1mm transition over a hump into a depression and back to the flat, all transitions tangent). Any help or ideas would be help full, thanks in advance.

Gailwrath,

Got a picture of the profile? Screenshot of any errors you are getting? The cam/follower assembly mate is pretty straight forward, but it could be conflicting with other assembly mates.

Here's the intake lobe of my car. The transition profile is made with a spline (from actual data points as you can see), but for SW 07 (where it was originally modeled) I had to convert it to conics. However, my SW09 help says this: "You can make the profile of the cam from lines, arcs, and splines, as long as they are tangent and form a closed loop." I don't have a gif, but trust me, the follower "follows"...

View attachment 5860

The cam's center is coincident to the origin (point-to-point), and a plane is coincident to an assembly plane in the z(in-screen) axis. This locks down everything BUT rotation. The lifter is constrained in 2 planes, but allowed to be "lifted". Make sense?

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back