Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

feature disappears in ass’y WF2.0

sadrok

I created an extrusion off of a surface. It shows in the model tree, and when it's active. As soon as i choose another feature it disappears from the screen. It's not on a layer or hidden... why is this happening????

This will happen if the extrusion you created is a surface and you are looking at it in a plan view, looking along the extruded direction, and you are in shaded mode(extrude direction into the screen). Rote the view or change to another view mode to see theedge or surface. In shaded mode it happens because a surface has no thickness.

You can't add material to an assembly. You can only remove material. So if you add and extrusion, it will just blank itself out.

If you are adding the feature in the assembly, then, as ehorton said you can only remove material (I missed the part where you were adding the feature to an assembly). When you create the extrusion in assembly mode, notice that the remove material button is selected and greyed out so you can't change it. The feature shows up in the model tree and when you select it the cut outline is shown. If you are not seeing material being removed the cut isn't intersecting anything.

Adding material or a surface must be done at part level. If you are adding the feature to a part, two things come to mindif you can't see the feature. First, you may be extruding the new feature into the base feature. Second, if the extrusion direction is okay, check to make sure the remove material button isn't selected.

It makes sense that it should be done at the part level. The assembly was
done for us by an outside contractor, and he took a few liberties with it.
Unless I redo the whole ass'y, I have to live with it the way it is.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back