Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family table question

silverado8405

So today after much playing around I finally made family tables of my common fasteners. I made a separate generic for each type and size, ie 1/2" shcs has a file 3/4" shcs, 1/4 hex bolt etc and I vary the length with the table.

I know I could probably lump them all together and have 1 file for coarse and one for fine and have the different instances for sizes and types which leads me to my question. Can I have the family table prompt me to choose a feature type? For instance I go to assemble a screw and I choose 1/2-13 x 4" from the instance list can I have the table prompt me to choose the head style from hex cap, shcs, or fhcs?

I'm happy right now with the way I have it set, I converted ~45 individual part files into around 10 family table files so my files have cleaned up significantly.

Also, when I go to assemble a part the open dialog shows all the different instances as part files instead of just the generic file. Anyway to change it so it shows just the generic and not the instances as well? I can attach pictures tomorrow if needed.

To the first question. You can create different features (for hex cap, shcs, fhcs,...) and then set Y (resume)or N (suppress them) parameter for each individual feature in family table. For that, you need to select Feature option when inserting new column to the family table. Then you need to set Y for enabled feature and N for all the other suppressed features.

As for generic vs. instances shown in open dialog, you need to set config.pro option "menu_show_instances" to NO.

As for generic vs. instances shown in open dialog, you need to set config.pro option "menu_show_instances" to NO.

On the same subject, isn't it possible to hide the "generic" from the file open dialog and keep only the instances? I think it's not possible...

Paolo

To the first question. You can create different features (for hex cap, shcs, fhcs,...) and then set Y (resume)or N (suppress them) parameter for each individual feature in family table. For that, you need to select Feature option when inserting new column to the family table. Then you need to set Y for enabled feature and N for all the other suppressed features.

I knew about setting the features as yes/no, I was just curious if I could make that option a "prompt" when I open the generic. Similar to how a drawing prompts you when you have parameters called in the drawing but not listed in the model.

2nd thank you! I will set that first thing Monday.

If you open the family table by parameter, you can select the head type. and other parameters. This works much better in a nested family table which is not recommended if you are using windchill. You could also create a Pro/Program to do that but I think it may be more trouble than it's worth. I use different family tables for different types of heads. Primarily becaus many of the parameters are similar, but mean different things depending on the type of fastener.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back