Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family Table Parameters

Bob_W

I have searched for a solution to my problem and have come up empty. I am trying to do something a little different than other threads found and will try to describe what I need.

Let's say have a model, similar to a clevis pin, with a family table of a parts that vary in length only. I then would like to include these parts in a drawing such that only ONE view is shown of the generic part. Then dimension the length on the drawing in a note that would state something like the following:

Pin A Length = .750
Pin B Length = .875

The problem is that the length is specified by a dimension such as d11. If I use only one view and model in the drawing, then all dimensions will be the same if I would use &d11 in the note. If I create parameters of each length in the model such as: pin_A=.750, pin_B=.875,...etc I can't set d11 to every one of the parameters to allow the family table to generate the instances.

What is needed is a way to set d11 to only the parameter used for each specific instance. If there were only a couple then setting up an If statement in a relation might work such as:

Note: syntax is not correct, just trying to show the concept

IF Instance=Pin_A
then d11 = Pin_A
else IF Instance=Pin_B
then d11=Pin_B
else ..
endif
endif

Anyone have any ideas that could help?

Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob,
If I understood ur problem correctly, Here is the solution:
1. for each varied dim. (length in ur case), assignname to dim.(Like A, B, C....) as shown in below image.
2. Add that dim. in part family table column and specify value for each instance (Two instances in ur case .750 & .875)
3. Put views of generic model only on dwg & show dim. A,B,C...by show/erase
4. In drawing, add repeat region table to show instance values.(U can search threads here for "show fam. table on dwg")

View attachment 5368

It's not quite clear to me what you want. But i think what you want is a general drawing.

Give the dimension d11 a reconizable name (like 'LENGTH') by changing the name under the properties of the dimension. So when you created some instance in a family table, the family table shows some different values for dimension LENGHT. Put the family table on a drawing. Also put a view of the generic on the drawing. Create a drawing dimension and override (by changing '@D' to '@O LENGTH ') the value.

I made a quick example of a part and drawing of what I am trying to do. If you look at the model you will notice that there are 4 parameters shown for the different pin lengths but they do NOT drive the dimension (named "Length") in the model.

The drawing shows the desired result but was done by overriding the dimension and entering two values directly and 2 by parameter. Neither are then driven directly by the model since the "Length" dimension is driven by the family table and the parameters are manually changed. If I use the dimension "Length" directly on the drawing then all instances will have the same value.

Think of this as a parts list/diagram that might come with a product you buy but need to assemble. Parts are shown with enough info for someone to determine which one to choose.

I forgot to mention I am using WF4

2011-09-15_092009_Pins.zip Note: I REVISED THE MODEL - SEE NEXT POST FOR UPDATED ZIP FILE Sorry for the confusion

Thanks
Bob

Edited by: Bob_W

I modified the file to add dimensions to the drawing that will reflect what happens when I use the "Length" dimension. The generic has a different length than the other 4 pins so that you can see the difference. The dimension on the left is just a standard dimension.

2011-09-15_093106_Pins_revA.zip

Thanks
Bob

Sachin:

I believe you are correct, I did make it more complicated than needed
smiley1.gif
I think you and roblom had the same idea but I wasn't understanding exactly what you were describing. Your example made it clear and I think that the table will be acceptable on the drawing/document I am making. I haven't worked that much at the drawing level with family table details so this was new to me.

Thanks again for the help.

Bob

u welcome...
I like family table in dwg..magic table!!!
It updates with part dimensions and even u add new instance part in family table..
Cheers
smiley1.gif

Roblom

I can't open rar files here but if it is the same as Sachin that is no problem.

Now I just have to learn to generate a table!

Bob

Sachin:

It took a while but I finally got the table to work using your original model files. After checking your document it was what I finally figured out but would have been simpler if I would have read it first.
smiley9.gif

Is there a way to remove columns that are in the family table but not needed in the drawing table?

Thanks again
Bob

roblom

Just imported your table and it looks good also. Both you and Sachiin have been a big help. I never had a need to work with tables in a drawing and this finally gave me the 'push' I needed.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back