Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Falttening tubing...filleting rather.

MOTO

In order for two pieces of tubing to intersect, removal of some material from one piece is required. This can be complicated with several tubes at one intersection.

I have designed a tube car chassis, and all of the tubes have been fit. I would like to take the tubes, one at a time,flatten them, and print it out 1:1. I could then cut out the tube and roll the actual piece of paper onto the actual piece of tube, and Voila!! there I have fit... or the material that needs to be removed.

Any thoughts on this... even wrapping an additional surface over the tube would be ok too.

Thanks in advance...

Moto

sheet metal flat pattern...although I know it doesn't like extrusions so much....not sure how a tube would be....you'd have to insert a slit, then a flat spot where the slit was (a tangent horizontal or vertical line)...then create a flat pattern feature, pick your flat spot as the surface to remain unbent and it should work....although you might have to redo yoru project, unless you specify the right parameters transfering your solid into sheet metal......I'm not sure this is the best way...or even a way...figured i'd help you brainstorm....good luck!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back