Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

F#$%*& dimensions

omarhernandez

Hey all,

I have been trying to figure this out for a while. The thing is that when I try to move a dimension in a drawing the dimension moves in intervals. For example - In sketchmy dimensions movers very smooth, but in a drawing it moves in steps every .2 mm or something. If i wanted to align two dimensions manually (by eyballin it) It won't let me (the dimesion I am moving will either pass the other dimension or stop before the other dim). Does anyone know of a drawing configuration option that controlles this.

Omar
Edited by: omarhernandez

Most CAD software I have dealt with has an annoying tendency to move dimensions when the model or drawing view is altered. I always make drawings with created dimensions (not shown dimensions), and this seems to help. It's also a lot less work work, in both Pro/E and SolidWorks. It also gives you the opportunity tomaintain the dimensioning scheme you used for design intent in the model and use a scheme that may better suit manufacturability in the drawing.

Mindripper,

Thanks for responding,

My problem is different though. When I move a dimension It overshoots or undershoots the line i want to place it (figuritivly speaking)

Omar

There's a grid snap setting in either the dtl file or the config.pro. Search both for 'grid' and you should find it.

Snap to Grid is in Environment.

You can control the grid spacing in Grid Modify (View > Draft Grd > Grid Param)

Please note that in WF2, when you grab a dimension line (where arrow heads are attached) to move, the dimension will move by the grid spacing but not necessarily.

In order to snap on to the grid, you need to grab the dimension by a dot next to arrowhead.

Charles

Your Dimensions are probably attaching to hidden Snap Lines. When you use the Clean Dims tool there is an option to create snap lines at a specific spacing to improve the ability to line dimensions up like you want with ordinate dimensions. Search your layer tree for a Snap Line layer that might be hidden.

Dimensions will still snap to Snap Lines even when Snap to grid is switched off. If your dimensions only seem to hop around in one direction horizontal or vertical then snap lines are most likely the cause. You can easily find items hidden on layers without knowing the layer name by expanding the Hidden Items + tab at the top of the layer window.

Michael

try to use snap lines.

Insert >> Snap lines >> now select distance between the snap lines and total no. of snap lines required. Now snap your dimension to these snap lines.

Many thanks to all for responding...

I just changed the snap line option in the enviroment justlikeCharles saidand vuala. I also tried to look for the options like Doug said but I came back with much more result than just two.

Omar

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back