Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

extrude question

Checkmate

Hi,

when extruding a block on a surface of a part does that extrusion after being finished then need to be attached to the part it is being added to?

thanks

Checkmate

If I understand ...

If you're creating solid features the boolean operation is automatic. Surface features will require manual boolean using Merge.

thanks i was just a little unsure because after creating the extude on the surface of the rest of the part it can still be selected separately from the rest of the part where as when you select surfaces that have been merged everything gets selected so i wasn't sure if they were actually joined.

> can still be selected separately ...

I ~think~ you're just seeing selection filter behavior. It's selecting the Feature.

yea i think so. are there any benefits from being able to select features separately? is it actually used for anything?

thanks,

Allows you to select in Graphics screen and use RMB shortcut menu instead of hunting for the feat in Model Tree. Will also highlight the feat in Model Tree if you are hunting for it.

Checkmate said:
yea i think so. are there any benefits from being able to select features separately? is it actually used for anything?

... Euhmmm.... I think you're missing the philosophy behind the concept of a history based, parametric solid modeler, like ProE is one.

You design parts by stringing together a number of features. These features either define functionality (create a cutout to make room for something, add draft to get the part released from a mould, ...) or even are "real" operations (cut a hole). Because it is a string of commands it matters how it's ordered, you can rearrange things if you want to alter the result (e.g. thin wall before or after drafting) - but be carefull since ProE isn't very forgiving on necessary references - and because it is parametric you can change the dimensions (parameters) of a feature or alter the sketch. For all these reasons it is necessary that you get a clear view on how a part is constructed.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back