Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Exporting Drawings for Powerpoint?

bazzafal

I am still using Pro Engineer Wildfire 3, is there a method of creating a file from the Pro Engineer drawing file to import to power point?

In auto cad I can export the file to WMF file, and then import it to Powerpoint and change the line properties and colours to make it look like a white background printed line drawing. is there something similar for Pro Engineer?

Or what tricks is there i can use, other than photoshopping my Pdfs or screen grab Jpegs?

hii...
1. go to view>display setting>scheme and select black on white...then take a screen shot & paste to ur powerpoint presentation

2. not a good idea..but u can try :)..,save as pro-E drawing as DXF file..then open in autocad...then u know what to do!!!

I agree that the black on white scheme is useful, but with the WMF allows me to change the colours of various lines, which allows just a little bit extra manipulation.

Unfortunately I dont have Auto cad anymore for doing the alternative dxf to cad formatting.

Hi there, go to view, display setting, change the color to white...and then save as .JPG and put at least 300DPI size A4.
Good luck

For drawings, I print to a file using the generic postscript driver. You can use a pen table file to make everything black & white or colors as you see fit. I open the .ps file in Ghostsview (free download) and convert it to encapsulated postscript, .eps. Office programs will still import this format.

In the past, you could skip the ghostview step by printing to file using the CGM driver but MS is too cheap to fix the security holes so it just keeps disabling this capability. You can hack the registry and make it work but then the next windoze update breaks it again. I gave up.

I print to a pdf file from Pro/E.
I open the pdf in Gimp (a free graphic file editor
download) at the resolution I need, depending on the output
size, and export it as a tif.
I import the tif into my Office application.

Walt Weiss said:
I print to a pdf file from Pro/E.

I open the pdf in Gimp (a free graphic file editor

download) at the resolution I need, depending on the output

size, and export it as a tif.

I import the tif into my Office application.

Does that result in a vector or bitmap file? I don't like using bitmaps in documents. TIFF originally only had binary bitmap data but it has expanded to include color, vectors, jpegs, etc. Sort of like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. The flexibility in encoding gave rise to the joke that TIFF stands for Thousands of Incompatible File Formats.

A good way, is to print the drawing to tiff. Go to file,print, add printer type and choose tiff from the printer list. Pick to file and voila. You most probably need to renmae the extension from plt to tif. The resolution of the file is controlled via config with "raster_plot_dpi" if I recall the max is 400

Just tried the WF4 TIFF print driver. Not nearly as good as the postscript driver IMHO. It did not respect my pen table files (colors instead of monochrome, no line weights). The default 100 dpi looks bad when zoomed in, I tried the 400 dpi setting which is clunky to have to set through a config setting rather than the printer interface. That looks a lot better zoomed in, nearly as smooth as a postscript at the max 500% MS Word supports. However, Pro/E takes FOREVER to print at that resolution. And no wonder, the file size was 181 MB. By comparison the 100 dpi TIFF file was 11 MB but the Postscript file is only 0.8 MB and because it's vector based, looks good at any zoom level.

Postscript 1, TIFF 0

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back