Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Export splines as splines..

james.lynch

Hi All,

is it possible to get2D drawings from ProE into Adobe illustrator (or similar package) and to have line brakes where there are actually line brakes and splines where there are actually splines?

I do a lot of concept development work in ProE and work closley with the designers (who work in AI) and every time I give them a drawing to do some work with, they have to retrace it in order to get easily modifable closed curves (which they can then render quickly in 2D and do some further design work)

Any help appriciated!

James

What's the typical translation medium?
Save a Copy as IGES, DWG, DXF, ..., shows a configuration
dialog that has a spline / polyline export option.

If you're converting to draft entities before export; this
breaks curves into polylines. I don't know if there's a way
to prevent that (but would like to).

we generaly use DXF... I havent played around with IGES in a while.. I'll give it a go today!

Can you elaborate on "converting to draft entities" ?does this happen automatically?

Cheers,

James

Edit -> Convert to Draft Entities ("snapshot"?). If you aren't expicitly
doing it, shouldn't be the problem.

DWG and DXF; I'd just make sure the export options dialog that comes up
is set to splines. (I had it in my head that Acad v13 didn't support
splines but it seems Pro/E exports splines no matter what version is
chosen.)

Have you tried reading your exports into some other program or back
into Pro/E? (Wondering if AI isn't doing the conversion on import.)

General reflection about this topic

We have been into this loop as well as we export many drawings toAI for manuals and sparepart lists. After upgrade of proewe saw a differences in behavior, and it showed to be a major fix of the export of IGES and DXF in wildfire 2 m210. What I am saying is that there is a fix in the spline vs polyline export that you might want to look at vs the current proe version you are running.

Using dxf with AI after the PTC fixactually became a really bad experience for us asthe quality was not good and AI seemed to freeze due to the load of the DXF. We tried with the "convert to draft entities" as well, but this was not the best for us. After testing quite a lot, we saw thatthe best results for us in using DXF is to setEdge Qualityto Very High andforce splines to be broken into polylines.

Soon we abandoned this method as well, and since we moved to wf3 we are now using the PDF export forAI, and it works fine acc. to the technical documentation dep.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back