Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Elements IDs

File>Independend Mechanica
Y
View>Fit>Iso>Done
Utility>Macros>Entity_ID>Replay

Give number of element ID in question.

I don t know at all the independant mode... that s not possible from the integrated mode ? if not i ll try in the independant mode...could you give me more details for the independant mode (how to open the mesh...)

And at the moment, i have an analysis which fails after pass 3 and the message error is :

" The element with DBID 1319792 has invalid geometry. To correct the problem, you may wish to provide seed points for AutoGEM or change the AutoGEM settings, and then remesh "

this DBID 1319792 is also an ID element ? usually the ID elements are just a number, why this time there is 'DBID'? Why the problem doesn t happen at the beginning of the analysis ? can I find this element easily using the same method ?

thanks a lot.

Hey Juju,
**NOTE: The procedures outlined below are for ProE and ProM Wildfire 2.0 M190. These procedures will work within all builds of ProE and ProM Wildfire 2.0. This procedures are not the same in Wildfire 1.0 as the ProM Menu Manager is present in that release. I am unsure about the Wildfire 3.0 release but it should be similar.**

You shouldn't really need to know the element IDs. ANSYS has this functionality (seeing element IDs), for example and it rarely helps for extremely complex meshes similar to the one you have. I used to see these errors about misshapened elements all of the time until I started checking the mesh before running an analysis. In Mechanica integrated mode this is called "Validate Mesh".

Before running the analysis, I would suggest to goto AutoGEM->Create... . An "AutoGEM" dialog will appear, click the "Create" button. A mesh will be generated for the model and displayed over the model when it is done being generated as well as a meshing summary will appear. This may take a while depending on the complexity of the model and set element limits of the mesh. When it completes, goto Info->Validate Mesh. If the mesh element geometry is acceptable (to the provided limits), it will pass.

If the mesh does not pass, as I am suspecting that your current mesh will not. You will need to adjust the allowable size and orientation of the elements within the mesh. This can be accomplished by going to AutoGEM->Settings... . The "AutoGEM Settings" dialog will appear. I rarely change any of the settings within the "Settings" tab. Goto the "Limits" tab. The values for Allowable Angles, Max Aspect Ratio, and Max Edge Turn can be changed to "refine" the mesh. This takes alot of trial-and-error procedure to accomplish successfully. After you set these values click on the "OK" button to save. You must then remesh the model via AutoGEM->Create... and revalidate the mesh. If it is successful (validation passed), you may save the mesh via File->Save Mesh within the "AutoGEM" dialog. If not, you must return to the AutoGEM->Settings... dialog, "Limits" tab to adjust the values.

See this site for some very good suggestions for setting these "limit" values to achieve a smaller element size and thus a good mesh. This is a pre-Wildfire edition of ProE and ProM, but the same concepts still apply.
<a href="http://pergatory.mit.edu/perg/resources/Design_Optimization/step4.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank">
http://pergatory.mit.edu/perg/resources/Design_Optimization/ step4.htm</a>

The entire site is actually a good read for anybody working with ProM.
<a href="http://pergatory.mit.edu/perg/resources/Design%20Optimization%20using%20ProMECHANICA.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank">
http://pergatory.mit.edu/perg/resources/Design Optimizatio n%20using%20ProMECHANICA.htm</a>

Hope this helps.

Edited by: acook

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back