Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dwg

BRENTMARINE

I often have a need to create dwg's from my Pro/E drawings oflarge assemblies. The drawings themselfs are rather large. The problem I run into is when creating the dwg the file size gets really large and often the computer will "choke" and become non responsive. Any suggestions for getting the file size down?

What I noticed is that the DWG filesare getting bigger if there are many lines inyour drawing.So try to make all views "no hidden". If you need to show some components make them "hidden" independently.

Also try to increase the swap space of your system so that the probability of the system crashing will reduce.

regards,

Deepak Bhat

To increase swap space: Right mouse on My Computer, Properties, click on the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings. Click the Advanced tab, and under Virtual Memory, click Change.

Make sure the radio button for "Custom size" is pushed and set your values. The typical rule of thumb(even thoughWindows recommends otherwise)is the set the Initial size to the amount of physical memory and set the Maximum size to 2 or 2.5 times the amount of physical memory.

In other words if you have 2Gb of memory, the Initial size would be 2046MB and the Maximum size could be 4092MB.

A reboot is required. Also make sure you have enough space on the C: drive to do this.

Don't expect the system to be any faster, but what it does, is allowProe to handle more data.

It sounds like you are describing to issues, "...the file size gets really large and often the computer will "choke" and become non responsive." But you are asking how to decrease file size.

Make sure there are no "extra" models in the drawing. In other words, in File, Properties, Drawing Models...there are models in your drawing that are not being used, that can be removed.

The issue about the computer choking...While you are actively working on the drawing, you can try using Drawing Reps (Tools, Drawing Representations). They behave very similarly to Simp Reps in models and basically "erase" or "suppress" or "hide" (however you look at it) views to allow you to work on a specific view or sheet at the time.

Increasing physical memory is better than increasing virtual memory as far as preventing the "choke". Use 4 Gb if you can. You can also change how much is allocated to processes on boot. I always set the minimum and maximum virtual memory to the same value, this makes vm more efficient because Windoze does not have to dynamically allocate disk space for it.

Configuring the computer to handle it is fine but is there a way to actually decrease the size of the drawing. As a Pro .drw a four page drawing is 450KB, When I save as an autocad .dwg it turns into 32000KB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back