Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dwell Format in Canned Cycles

ckirchen

I have an older mill with a Fanuc controller than needs the P in a canned cycle to be multiplied by 1000.

i.e. G82 X0. Y0. Z0. R.1 P.25 needs to be G82 X0. Y0. Z0. R.1 P250

I tried playing around in GPost, but the multiplier field in Machine Codes>Dwell Parameters does nothing.

Any ideas?

Hi C,

Try this. Go into the OFG, open your post. Select File Formats and then MCD File. This will list all the letter codes that the post recognizes. There's a chart with Order, Description, ADDR, and Aliases columns. Pick the << button in the ADDR column beside the letter P. You will get a pop-up dialog box called Register Settings.Go down to the metric and inch areas and toggle the buttons to get the correct values on either side of the decimal point, usually nnnn.nnn for metric and nnn.nnnn for inch. Then select whether you want a decimal point output and leading or trailing zeros and whether the control requires the + sign. Pick OK.

Jay

Changing the Register Settings only allows me to change the number of digits before and after the decimal point. Currently, it is n.nn, which gives P.25. If I change it to nnnn.nnn,it gives P.250.

I am looking for a way to multiply the default dwell of .25 value. If I enter 250 into the field, the g-code comes out correctly, but the time estimate is way off because it uses 250 seconds as the dwell time.

When I look at the CL Data in the Play Path window inside ProNC, the CYCLE/FACE line does not list a dwell. If there was a dwell, I could make a custom CIMFIL withthe FIL Editorto catch it and multiply it by 1000.

It appears as ifGPost appends the default dwell value (that is stored in the OFG) to the G82 when it encounters CYCLE/FACE. I'm starting to think that there might not be any way to access it.

Hi Chris,

I understand you need to change P.25 to P2500. When I go to the register settings there's check boxes for outputting leading and trailing zeros, whether you want a decimal point and another setting. If these are available, you should uncheck the decimal point check box.
Which version of Pro-E and Gpost do you currently have?

Thanks,
Jay.

Good Morning Chris,

I played with your problem at work this morning. Here's what I came up with and also a few points to cover and verify that your settings are similar to mine.

1. In the OFG, I have a letter P listed in the MCD file formats chartdesignated Cyce Dwell.When I pick the "<<" button it lists the Register Settings Dialog box. This gives me a format of 3.4 for inch with only trailing zeros set.
2. When I go to Motion -> Cycles and look at the "Cycle Dwell Address:" it was originally blank. I put the letter P here also. This caused the OFG to output the dwell.
3. When I went to Machine Codes -> Dwell Parameters, these did not affect the amount or format of the amount of dwell in the CYCLE/ cl line. This is strictly for controlling output and formatting of the G04 command.

In the mfg file. I set a value in the DELAY setting of 0.25 and had DELAY_UNITS set to seconds. This output a ...,DWELL,0.250000 at the end of my CL line CYCLE/. I then got a P2500 at the end of the G82 line in my program. If I have no value in the DELAY setting of teh parameters tree then no P is output.

I hope this helps. If not, I am willing to talk you through it over the phone. Send me an email at [email protected] and we'll get together.

Jay

Chris,

In step 1 above, I was wrong about what to pick. It is NOT the "<<" button in the ADDR column. It is the letter that you've desgnated as P. Normally this will be "P" and is marked Cycle Dwell in the chart of MCD letters.
Sorry for the confusion.

Jay.

Thanks for the help Jay. I changed the number format of the P address to 3 digits before the decimal, 3 digits after the decimal, and only "Trailing 0's" is checked.

FYI, the value in Dwell Parameters>Cycle Dwell>Cycle Face becomes the default value. If you do not enter a different value in the Paramter Tree under DELAY, the default will be output.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back