Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dual unit Plus/Minus parametric tolerance

potrero

I am searching for a way to do custom dual unit plus/minus tolerances.

For example, I have a drawing in mm units, and a dimension which looks like:

I would like to be able to add in a dual unit display in inches, so that below the above dimension, would be:

I'm aware of the method of creating a set of equivalent inch dimensions (ie if the original dimension was "d1" then create "d1_ = d1 * mm_to_in"; and since ProE uses "tp1" and "tm1" for the plus & minus tolerances, one could convert these like the main tolerance (tp1_ = tp1*mm_to_in, etc) and write in the dimension text box: &d1_ +&tp1_ / -&tm1_) This yields something in the following form (and the parametric tolerances correctly display):

5.59 +0/-0.04

I've tried to get the superscript / subscript form using @+'s and @-'s, ie:

&d1_ @++&tp1_@# @--&tm1_@#

but this for some reason doesn't display the parametric dimension. It actually dumbly displays:

+&tp1_
-&tm1_

What gives? Anyone have a suggestion for how to have superscript and subscript beparametric to a defined parameter?

Many thanks.

You don't need to make relations or use "tp1/tm1" for this. There are already a set of options for this kind of stuff.

right_click on your drawing / properties / drawing_options

and make sure you have these as below:

Vlad, thanks for the reply.

But your suggested options change the dual dimensioning for the entire sheet. But I only want to show dual dimensions for a couple selected dimensions. So my original question still remains unanswered.

Also, when I tried the exact method you've suggested, and I print the drawing to PDF, the brackets show up very large, much larger and thicker than on the screen.

yes I could just type in text, but that would be akin to giving up. Plus, it could be dangerous, since if ever that dimension changes (ie the design still may have one or two revisions), one has the risk of not remembering to change those dimensions on the drawing. Still searching for a parametric way to do it... Seems like there must be a solution, since it works in one format, just not in

superscript
dim
subscript

mode. Thanks.

trillicom,
if I understand you correctly, then I'm already creating a relation to convert the units. The problem is, the action of creating the superscript and subscript format seems to prevent the parametric relation from showing.

Instead of relating the note to the view, why not attach the note to the dimension using offset. This will make the note move with the dimension instead of with the view.

Mike

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back