Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dstuck on a project

isaac985

I apologize for making another topic yet i am really stuck and need some help. ive tried to continue on my own but i think it would be much easier if i had some help. so i greatly thank all who apply in advance!

The end goal is to create a parameterized model of this skull and then put it into ansys so that i can run an optimization sewquence with my parameters.

I have been able to draw the main shape of the skull but i am running into, what i feel is a simple problem. i created the figure out of mostely boundary belnds except they do not intersect. how can i go about finxing this?

Also, how should i parameterize this model of boundary blends? my idea was to do bounding boxes or datum curves. however, im not sure exactly how to use these. im guessing boundary box means you make a sketch on a datum plane, them write relaiton equations to that box. then i would have 25 or so boxes for my different datums. then i would write relation equations between boxes. is this right?

i don't know how to use datum curves for this purpose, if anyone wants to try and explain would be all ears.

thank you
isaac

I having a hard time uploading a picture so i will try and explain where im at.

I have created the model using mostly boundary blends. i now want to put the model into ansys workbech for stress analysis. however i need for both my bb to be connected together and my model parameterized.

anything at all to get me towards this and past this stuck point would be EXTREMELY appreciated. i would be happy to answer quesitons for more clarity.

isaac

Krow, thanks for the response. that is exactly what i was thinking my next step should be but im not sure how. would you mind giving a little explination to help point me in the right direction?

thanks so much!

isaac

Isaac - first change the selection from smart to quilts (bottom right corner). highlight your two quilts by picking the first one then hold ctrl and select the second. Go to the edit pulldown menu and pick merge. Once all bb are merged and there are no holes at all then select the entire quilt and go edit>solidify. You should then have a solid part. I am using wildfire 4.

Also - you posted this in the drawing forum. This is a modeling question. To get the most response please make sure to post in the correct forum.

Krow72
Edited by: krow72

im having a little trouble. i have merged the whole figure but it looks like there are still spots where the blends don't match up. the solidify tool gives the error that it failed to intersect.

any suggestions?

im thinking of re drawing the sketches so that i have an outline before i do any boundary blends. will this be a good way to solve the problem?

I have finally finished seaing my model! according to wireframe mode there are no open holes. however, it wont solidify :( It says, "Feature aborted. Failed to intersect part." any suggestions on how to fix this? i have included pictures to help.

in reference to the picture of it trying to be solidified, is the probelm with the direction of the arrow? how come i can't get it to face inward? Whatever suggestions you have will be appreciated.

also, my plan is to solidify and then then shell my model. however, i wanted different thicknesses for different parts of the model. any suggestion on how to do this as well?

thank you

isaac

isaac - some things to check. go to info>geo check. If it is not greyed out it will show you where there are problems. Also, go in wire frame mode then view>displaly settings>system colors. Go in the Geometry tab and change the quilt edge ourter color to yellow. This will stand out any edges that are not merged together. Hope this helps some. As far as different thickness I think that would be hard to do with all the contours. When you shell a pert there is a way to pick different thickness for different areas but I have not had much luck with that. Good luck.

Krow72

I have changes the colors and made sure there are no open surfaces. I have also used geometry check to make sure there are no problems there but it still wont solidify. What else could it be??

I have a guess. When i get rid of a solid extrusion that i made i can't solidify the quilt covering the skull model. i don't know why, but maybe this is the reason it wont solidify. any suggesions?

thanks again!
isaac

I am starting to think that my plan of solidifying and then shelling is not going to work, My model is just too complicated. Hence, i am looking into different methods. Any suggestions are welcome!

i have been looking into the thicken tool. i figured maybe i could thicken each surface seperately, and then connect the thickened surfaces. However, the surfaces don't match up.

Also, could i use offset somehow?

Isaac

sorry for all the posts, but i thank you for your help.

Can someone give me a quick explination of the bounding box. im trying to change the shape of a boundary blend by writing a relation to a boundary box, but i think i might have the idea of what it is mixed up.

what i understood was that you sketch a box around your model, then write relaitons from that box to other sketches. however, when i change the demension of box, the model does not change. do i have the idea of the bounding box correct?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back