Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawings from family tables

TMPENG

Hello,

I am trying to create a drawing file of an assembly model that has multiple family table instances. Think of the assembly model as a die press, and each instance has a different die and associated tooling. I have created a generic assembly model that includes all of the tooling from all instances. When I create the drawing file from the generic, my drawing title block and file name auto populate from the generic model because it is set as the active model. When I insert my BOM table, it captures all of the dies/tooling for all instances. I'm good up to here.

I would like to add additional sheets and insert views of the instances, and balloon those instances, but not add a BOM to each sheet.

I can think of a couple work arounds like always using the generic and hiding the components I do not want shown for a given instance, but there has to be a better way. This seems to me like something others must do all day.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Just use the same drawing you have set up and replace the generic model with an instance, the views and BOM table should update automatically to the new instance. You can then save a copy of the drawing, and repeat as needed for each instance.

Hi,

Yep that makes sense, but I was wondering if I could contain it all in one drawing file showing the different instances on separate sheets?

Another example would be showing a cylinder extended and retracted. To do this I create and assembly instance. If I create a BOM off one instance, and then insert a view of the other instance, I cannot balloon the second instance because the BOM is tied to the first.

I could do a lot of hiding the component displays

The easiest way I have found to accomplish this is to save the seperate drawings, then add them back to the drawing you want. I made a couple of mapkeys, one that replaces the model and saves the new drawing, then when all those are done I have another mapkey to insert data from file, and just select the new drawings.

As for the additional BOM balloon on multiple views, I have manually added a balloon when requested by the shop floor. A bit tedious and they will not update, but that has been the quickest solution for me.

Thanks for your help. I thought of using the manual balloons, but I was hoping for a parametric solution. I just expected that there would be a better way, and I just didn't know of it.

There is a parametric solution but as you've already guessed it requires making a table for each family table member. You create amaster table that uses Column Model definition for the repeat region. You create table for the individual family table models and fix the index numbers for each table to match the master table and apply the ballons using these tables. You then add the family model tables to a layer and hide them.

I thought of that too, but honestly I no idea how to do it. As far as hiding the tables I though of just putting them outside of my printable border. This helps alert me that there is another table at play when I re-open the drawing 5 years from now. It's the same reason why I'm striving to keep everything parametric. It helps me eliminate my own mistakes

Can you tell me how "link/fix" the instance table numbers to the "master/generic table"?

Fix Index is under the Table>Repeat Region. Depending on how your parts are listed you may want to try and sort things into two region in the BOMs, a region for common parts between the model configurationsand parts that are specific to a configuration, to help identify what needs to be fixed.

I see, so manually arrange the master table, and then start fixing the indices. That makes total sense. It's a lot of work, but it makes sense. Thank you very much!

Yes, and the reasonning behide specifying two regions, one for common parts and one for configuration specific, is the common parts you don't necessarily need to fix the idices individually. The common section you can probably leave alone or fixthe region and then fix the items in the second region. Guess the amount of work will be determined by how much is variable. The other thing you can do is copy the table with the parameters and specify the model the new table points to without having to redefine a table for each model instance.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back