Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing in Wildfire 5.0...

zpaolo

I can't stand it, maybe this post will sound more like a rant & rave, but in fact is just me asking if someone else is feeling so discouraged by the new drawing interface.

I've always worked well in the drawing environment, although everyone was asking for an interface and workflow overhaul, but what we have now, with WF5.0, is IMO far worse than the predecessor.

The main reason I'm not comfortable with this interface is that it is completely modal, not only I can only see the commands for the specific tab (it's tidy ok), but even the context menus change accordingly! Is there a way to disable this "feature"? I'm used to pick a dimension by double clicking and change its tolerance, then select a view and move it around, then add a note and maybe change a value in a table. With the new "ribbon" interface i have to change "tab" between each of these operations, because if you are in "layout" mode and double click the text in a table cell... nothing happens!

All this is frustrating to say the least, if it's not going to change in the final release I think I'll never ever upgrade to WF 5.0 :/

I totally understand you. Now you have a totally different ribbon style UI. Users need time to get used to it.
To make out-of-context selection, you can hold Alt and select some items out of the current tab.

working on wildfire 5 is still a distant dream
smiley19.gif

so can't comment much on that

SimonJR said:
I totally understand you. Now you have a totally different ribbon style UI. Users need time to get used to it.
To make out-of-context selection, you can hold Alt and select some items out of the current tab.

It's not the fact that it is different, I had nothing to say when they changed the assembly interface from 2.0 to 3.0, for example, because I saw an improvement there... I can't see much improved here :)

Thank you for the tip, I'll check it out ASAP, I hope there will be a config.pro option to permanently enable out of context selection!

Paolo

At the beginning, most people are very difficut to like the Ribbon style UI. But it seemsthis is a fashion style from Microsoft Office 2007, then a lots of companies copy it, such as Solidworks and UG NX.

stevestsheng said:
At the beginning, most people are very difficut to like the Ribbon style UI. But it seemsthis is a fashion style from Microsoft Office 2007, then a lots of companies copy it, such as Solidworks and UG NX.

Yes, it's true, at the beginning every interface change need the user to adapt to a different workflow and so on. I can't speak for Office or NX because I've never tested them, but the point here is not the ribbon idea itself, the point is that the IMPLEMENTATION of the ribbon interface is... how can I say... plain stupid! How can an interface designer imagine that CONTEXT MENUS need to be made "modal" with a ribbon selection. It's insane, I mean "context" menus and direct click should depend only on, err, context and what you click...

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back