Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

DRAFT Angle Limit

marker4x4

Hi, I remember seeing discussion on this topic, but I can't seem to be able to find it anymore... maybe my SEARCH skills aren't good enough
smiley1.gif

Anyway, how to get around the +-30.000deg limit? I'm very often working on imported models with fair number of small cavities that I need to modify with 45deg. (or similar) angle. I rather avoid doing sweeps for each and every one if I can help it. See pic for example.

Thanks!!!

You can`t do it stright from draft menu.

But, all in Pro\e can be obtained by work aorund.

First solution - check this links

http://www.synthx.com/tom/sy_tip_0309.htm

Second one

*this one is my own trick:

- make a sketch with circle on the surface which is the hinge(highlighted in pink in your pic)

-pick this surface Edit > Offset > with draft feature - now, turn direction to the inside, and You should be able to set a draft with no limitation

muadib3d said:
....First solution - check this links

Second one

*this one is my own trick:

- make a sketch with circle on the surface which is the hinge(highlighted in pink in your pic)

-pick this surface Edit > Offset > with draft feature - now, turn direction to the inside, and You should be able to set a draft with no limitation

Thanks for the tips.... The first one won't work because I'm trying to draft the cylinder... On the second one I've tried every possible option, flipping the directions and numbers, all I'm getting is the dreaded Troubleshooter: "Offset is aborted. Geometry could not be constructed."
Am I missing something?

Thanks,

If you want it at 45 deg you could use the chamfer feature and select the inside corner. I tried it and it seems to work for me.

dsilorey said:
If you want it at 45 deg you could use the chamfer feature and select the inside corner. I tried it and it seems to work for me.

Sweeeet, that's the one. Thanks!!!!!!!

design-engine said:
sweep a surface too....

Well, that's what I was trying to avoid to begin with. Due to the sheer number of cavities I have to modify, I much rather go with "single click" solution.

This is one of the most rediculous limitations in ProE, which I run into on a regular basis. I have no clue as to why it's like that. Does anyone have any idea where this limitation comes from? I-DEAS e.g. allows draft angles up to 89 degrees...

the limit used to be 15 back in 1991 when I started using Pro/E... i think wf1.0 the limit went to 30. I wouldnot call it the most rediculus llimitation I have come accroess.

design-engine said:
the limit used to be 15 back in 1991 when I started using Pro/E... i think wf1.0 the limit went to 30. I wouldnot call it the most rediculus llimitation I have come accroess.

You don't find this limitation ridiculous or you have come across far more ridiculous limitations (more likely) ?

smiley1.gif

Alex

Zestje said:
Does anyone have any idea where this limitation comes from? I-DEAS e.g. allows draft angles up to 89 degrees...

I found a ProE tips site and one of things it mentioned was that PTC considers angles up to 30 degrees as draft angles. Angles greater than that are considered something else. I didn't find anything that specifically said draft angles are less than or equal to 30 degrees but I did find a draft angle chart that only goes up to 30 degrees. Seems like the limit is related to mold design. Since I'm not a mold designer I'm only guessing, but it seems like the limit comes from the angles typically used in mold design. Most of the draft angles I have seen so far have been less than 10 degrees.

You might look into Copy -> Paste Special to copy feature groups.
In the attached; copying is a one or two pick process depending on
whether or not a new 'extent' reference is needed to control the
VSS section line length. Note also ...
_ Original VSS traj is a tangent chain. Select a single new edge
segment when creating the copy.
_ Use the Advanced Reference collector when copying.
2008-02-26_182704_copy_feat_grp-wf2-.prt.zip

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back