Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

DOUBLE-CLICK TO OPEN PRO-E FILES

davidinindy

I can open most filesfrom windows explorer by double-clicking. Since Pro/e adds the version numbers behind the extension, I can't change it so that all .prt files open in Pro-E. For some reason it defaults to Productview Express. This is annoying because I've been opening Solidworks, Autocad and Cadkey files in Explorer for years.

Is there a trick I'm missing to fix this?

Thanks

You can redefine the action of Open on a file. My guess is that PVexpress was loaded after Pro/E and stole the commands.

Possibly... I've tried to redefine the action, but would have to change the action for .1, .2 clear up to .infinity.

Oh, and now if I right-click and say "open with" Pro/E... It opens another session. It just started doing this one. Another designer here says it's always been like that and to drag the file into the Pro/E window. Well, I know I've been right-clicking and opening files for a long time, and this just started happening.
Edited by: davidinindy

If you really want to, directly hack the following registry keys and subkeys

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\asmFile]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\prtFile]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\proeFile1]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\proeFile2]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\proeFile3]
up to about 15 or 35 depending on the version installed

to the program path you want to run

WARNING:- hacking the registry is NOT for the noobs, nervous or faint-hearted.

I have written a batch file that is run after every Pro/E install which specifically DISABLES the double click/open action of Pro/E because I think it is fundamentally stupid like so many other things required for M$ Windoze Compatibility Certification

Why, because when Pro/E starts it will only load the loadpoint configs and no user configs UNLESS these happen to be in the same folder (fat chance). Too bad if you have search paths in you user config because they won't be found so there is a darn good chance any assembly you double click will fail to load as well.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

You can drag and drop Pro/E files into a running session. Just be careful because by default if you drop a part into an assembly it thinks you want to add it to the assembly and if you drop a part into a drawing window it wants to add the model to the drawing. You can drop anything onto a part window and it just opens.

Nothing's wrong with that... if you know your looking ofr a Pro/E file. I often use windows explorer to find files because I'm not always sure they will be Pro-E files. Many old drawings are in Autocad. If I find it is a Pro/E file, I double-click on it to open out of habit. Yes... I discovered the nuances of drag-and-drop by mistake. That's pretty cool for assemblies. In Solidworks, you could drag a part you had open inanother window into an assembly.

Dell_Boy said:
I have written a batch file that is run after every Pro/E install which specifically DISABLES the double click/open action of Pro/E because I think it is fundamentally stupid like so many other things required for M$ Windoze Compatibility Certification

Why, because when Pro/E starts it will only load the loadpoint configs and no user configs UNLESS these happen to be in the same folder (fat chance). Too bad if you have search paths in you user config because they won't be found so there is a darn good chance any assembly you double click will fail to load as well.

DB

This is why I have created a batch file, and set the default file opento use the batch file:-

@echo off
cd \Wildfire
"C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\bin\proe.exe" %*

This allows me to double-click the file, and it opens in Wildfire with all of my config options (in c:\Wildfire directory).

Great idea Robert, it never occured to me to do that and with a bit of tweaking it seems to be working for me with parts and assemblies but not with drawings because of the way my folders are structured.

Thanks for sharing it. I only hope other users can work out the exact steps and have the rights to make the necessary changes to invoke this.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back