Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Does ProE offer a 2D layout software?

bry593

You know, something like AutoCAD or Draftsight?

This would greatly speed ground up design in the type of product my company manufactures. Someone suggested Othena Pro or something like that, but I haven't been able to find any info on it.

BTW, we are using Wildfire 2.0.

TIA

Take a look at Pro/E's "layout" funtionality. Its basically a .drw file where you can sketch basic design geometry and use "declared" dimensions from the layoutto drive a skeleton model. Pro/E's 2d functionality in .drw mode is workable once you get used to it although its not Autocad.

Sorry for the "test" post. I spent twenty minutes typing a post only to have a "wrong code" error message display when i tried to submit it, with a prompt to hit "back" on the browser button. When I did that, everything I had typed was gone. I retyped it and guess what? Same result. I will try again if this post is submitted successfully. (I actually have something to say!)

All right! Two successful posts! Now on to the point.
I have created 2D sketches in Pro/E for years. Anytime I design a new piece of equipment or machinery, I start with a layout of a 2D cross section. To create a 2D drawing, start by creating a new drawing. Name it whatever you want your 2D sketch to be named. I usually create the drawing with no model associated to it, but it really does not matter. I also prefer to have no format since I like working with a completely blank sheet, but that

And what value do you gain from doing that in Pro/E as opposed to a better featured 2D tool like Draftsight? (I have no association with Draftsight but since our old AutoCAD 2000 licenses will not run on Windoze 7 I have found Draftsight to be a very good AutoCAD clone.)

FWIW, do a control A, Control C to select & copy your post to prevent losing it to the captcha monster.

Thanks for the tip. If I was a smarter guy I would have used the copy functions on this forums text editor. I actually typed it in word the third time around as you can probably tell by the out of place font.

As far as the value gained by doing the layout in Pro/E goes, I guess it depends on your 2D needs. If you need an advanced 2D tool like AutoCad than there is no advantage. If you simply want to create a 2D layout of a design to figure out all of the detailsbefore the modeling process begins than Pro/E's 2D system is fine. It also has the advantage of being Pro/E, which means only one Cad tool is needed to perform both 2D and 3D work. Much of the functionality between the two systems is the same (Although the 2D sketcher is not parametric of course). There are some other interesting things that can be done in Pro/E's 2D land as well, such as incorporating 2D sketches on a Pro/E part or assembly in a drawing. There have been several occasions where I wanted to sketch on a 3D drawing (for concept purposes only). In pro/E I simply create the 3D views I am after and then add the 2D geometry. I admit that this is not common but sometimes I find it useful. More often in this case I want to modify the 3D geometry. When this is the scenario then I will simply create a dxf of the 3D drawing and then import the dxf file into the 2D drawing I am working on. Again, with everything being done in Pro/E the file transfers are always quick and easy. I admit it may not be for everyone, but I have found that Pro/E's 2D system works well for my needs. I have created countless 2D concept drawings in Pro/E over the years. About the only time I ever open AutoCad anymore is to access the AutoCad DB we still have.

Sorry this is so wordy. I never have been any good at simplifying a point.

you can create 2d sketches in pro/e and it has the bonus of
being parametrically driven. You just need to get over the
primitive mindset of Autocrap and learn to efficiently use
the sketcher. I can sketch a 2d layout faster than could be
done on Autocrap. You can change colours, parametrically
change dimensions, pattern, even hatch areas if needed.
Sometimes I use 2d sketches to drive parts of a 3d model or
just to show a quick layout.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back