Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

displaying hole datums - multiple views

dakeb1

Hi,

This has bugged me for a while.I dimension a hole in section on sheet 2 andapply a datum to the diameter. I cannot show that datum anywhere else on the drawing. Why not?

If I double click the axis on the plan view of the hole on sheet 1, I can getproe toattach a datum to the hole geometry.

That Datum shows on every plan view in the drawing, and I can't get rid of it without deleting the axis.

Why does this happen?

Cheers,

Dave
Edited by: dakeb1

Because dimensions should only be shown once per drawing. So if you attach a Datum to a dimension it only gets shown once.

I hate how Pro/E automatically shows declared datums in every possible view. It does not do this for any other annotation. Why datums? If I add a datum to a part in my assembly why should that datum show up unbidden in my assembly drawing? That is one of the most annoying inconsistencies in the Pro/E drawing package & it's been there since day one.

So, I want to show hole datum X in more than one view. It is attached to a dimension in a section view. I want to repeat the datum in the hole plan views on different sheets so the manuf. doesn't have to flip from sheet to sheet. (These are typically square flange connectors and I want to dimension the four corner fixing holes from the connector hole).

If a datum is attached to a dimension of the diameter of the connector hole it still only relates to the axis of thehole right? And a datum is a datum is a datum. Like basic dimensions it can be repeated because it is what it is, and is not double-dimensioning.

So why will ProE not let me display the datum more than once where i want it to? Especially as it is quite happy for me to attachthe datum to geometry and insists on showing it every place it can!

Thanks Dr. G.

I guess this inconsistentfunctionality will cause me to remain bugged a while longer.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back