Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Did I give up too quickly?

jrdramey

I'm a college student who has about a year of experience with Inventor 2013 Pro. I'm always looking to add new knowledge, and I like using design/modelling/CAE software, so I got to looking around and I noticed that students can get Creo 2.0 for free...so I decided to check it out.

I was initially impressed by how the program looks; yeah, the UI is a little clunky, but not too bad; I like how one can click on a model function, setup parameters for the part, sketch a profile, click OK and it's done...instead of having to switch environments like in Inventor.

Then...I tried to actually model a part...just for fun. I watched the video on helical sweep and tried to model the spring exactly as shown in the video. No go...five error messages all stating that the sketch is not appropriate. I tried all last weekend just to fix one damned sketch. I gave a good ol' southern holler and uninstalled the software, haha!

I'll probably go ahead and install it again after I get over my aggravation, so does anyone know where I might be able to get a little extra help on this than PTC's half-ass videos or their learning center that one has to pay for?

Thanks

Thank you. Hopefully I can gain at least a nominal understanding of this software because I'm on my own on this one.

I do not see it necessary to pay at this moment for basic knowledge you are up to gain by yourself.

Intermidiate or advanced knowledge related to AAX or Surface Modeling are good areas such "pay for help" I would consider, and if so I would refuse PTC trainings, selecting something focused directly on expert experience, one I suppose i.e. Design Engine represents(and I am not payed for saying this:)).

Helical Sweep is a little bit advanced feature, frankly speaking - making screws or sprongs in Pro/E is rather cumbersome than simpified or easy to use.

Note: - there are still a lot of resources for free which cover basics: http://www.sharptechdesign.com/Tutorials.htmhttp://www.sharptechdesign.com/Tutorials.htm

it is WF2 related, but the idea, approach of solving things are the same in Creo, only interface differs.

Get on the PTC community and the PTCUser community, lots of experienced users that can help you out. They tend to get more activity than here.

General rule: Creo rewards thoughtful, deliberate modeling and can punish quick and dirty modeling. It's more forgiving than it once was, but not as forgiving as Solidworks and perhaps Inventor (I've not worked with it).

Some would say that's a weakness, and I get that, but I find it's a strength. If I think through the geometry I want and build thoughtfully, I can make Creo sing and manipulate my models with ease and speed. If I do the same with SW, I get little to no advantage.

Think through the geometry you're trying to create, chances are if Creo is balking, there is a geometry reason. Of course, there are a fair share of UI quirks as well, so it may be that you missed a click or misunderstood the UI.

Post the file you were trying to create and the error, we can help you get up to speed.

Thank you. Hopefully I can gain at least a nominal understanding of this software because I'm on my own on this one.

Post your sketches and some screen shots. Helical sweep feature has some very specific requirements to complete. Also, the combination of the trajectory, section, and pitch have to be done just right otherwise the geometry won't be able to be constructed.

The need for precision is definitely something I've noticed wile playing around with Creo. One certainly has to feed it exactly what it wants, and one has to do it by the rules or it just won't work.

Oh, and thanks again for the advice, everyone. I'll see what I can do about getting a screen shot with the error box I get.

CREO.jpg

These are the errors I get when I try to create a spring in helical sweep, and I do it exactly as shown on the video.

you've drawn the helix sweep profile AND the section all in the helix sweep profile,
under 'references-helix sweep profile' click define, then sketch the sweep profile (the straight line) and a centre line, nothing else (for a straight spring), then click done.
Now you should be able to click on 'edit or create sweep section'. Sketch the circle in this and click done, and provided you have the correct pitch as explained by mgnt8

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back