Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

determining developed length

sekar_mech02

Hi.,

I have made a sheet metal feature with bend. I wish to know how to determine the developed length??

can you any guide me to determine it??

regards.,,

sekar.r

Hi Kratos

I used default bend table, i.e part bend table for bending. Is there is any tool or option in pro/e to calculate or measure automatically the flattened part

regards

sekar

If you are asking the developed length of the total part, then you have a little work to do.

The way I do it is I create an unbend all feature, use an evaluate to measure the lengths I need, then create a bendback all feature. I then assign the evaluated length to a parameter in my post relation section.

Jim

Hi Conrat and Kratos

Thanks for making the thread alive.

Conrat, can you please explain the things little more deep(evaluate measure the lengths and assign the evaluated length to a parameter)

R.sekar

sekar,

Below is the text from a previous post from a while back. I think it describes the process:

One note: I mention you have to regen twice. To get around this, add an annotation feature directly after the eval feature. Then, add the
myGirth = GIRTH:FID_SIZE as a feature relation to this annotation feature. Just make sure the
myGirth exists in the part prior to adding this relation.

____________________________________________________________ ________________

I just want to let everyone know that I think the Evaluate
feature is the way to go if you do not have the BMX option. The
only caveat appears to be that you must regenerate the model
twice. Once for the part to update, then again for the relation
to update.

Also, in case anyone wants to try it out...

If the Evaluate feature is named SIZE and the name of the measurement is GIRTH, you can write a relation like:

myGirth = GIRTH:FID_SIZE

Also, here is a link to more helpful information on the Evaluate feature:

http://www.synthx.com/tom/sy_tip_0203.htm

Creating the feature is pretty easy. In 2001:

1. Insert - Datum - Evaluate

2. Enter a name for the feature.

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">The Evaluate feature can contain multiple measurements.

</div>
3. Click Create, then name the measurement and hit enter.

4. Click on Distance - Plane, then select an edge.

5. Click Plane again, then click the other edge.

6. Click done and the feature will show up in the model tree.

You guys have been a plethora of knowledge and information, so I hope this information comes in handy.

Thanks again,
smiley4.gif

Jim

Hi Conrat.,

I tried in the sheet metal feature, but it does not shows any developed length due to bending. The evaluate feature just measures the length.

Can you explain for a sheet metal part to calculate the developed length using the evaluate

sekar

Basically what the evaluate feature does is measure something. So, since Pro/E does not provide an internal parameter to determine total developed length of a part, I use the evaluate feature to measure the flattened geometry.

This is only useful for overall part lengths. If you are looking for the developed length of a single bend, then just right click on the feature and select edit. The developed length will be shown for each bend and you can override it if need be.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back