Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Delete surfaces from a shrinkwrap?

jhyder79

Does anyone know if it is possible to delete surfaces from a shrinkwrap? I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past day to figure out how to do this. I have an engine model that is a shrinkwrap, but I need to send a portion (just the left side of the block and some components) to a vendor who is using Unigraphics. I have tried exporting the entire engine to STEP or IGES format but the vendor can not open the files (opens fine for me in Pro/E).

Anyone have an idea what I can do?

For this kind of things I create a simplified rep with only the parts I want to "give", and while I'm in that simplified rep I make a save as shrinkwrap. And the shrinkwrap is created only with those components.

All you'll be able to do is make cuts to get what you want. You won't be able to remove by components since it will have to be made dependent and then you will need the solid model.

One other thing you can try is layering off surfaces by quilts and you may be able to create a STEP or IGES or maybe another shrinkwrap off of that where the layered surfaces don't show up.

Hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back